Wednesday, October 21, 2009

So NOT My Table

But it is the table I wish I had. Empty. Ready for anything. And nice chairs. I got this Swedish decorating book at the library yesterday and discovered these long tables, like mine, but scooted up again a wall and bench so the room has some "space" to walk. My table sits in the center of my space and makes the one side an aisle and the other not much better for walking through. I was going for symmetry. The Swedes have been decorating this way for a long time--it must be the most functional use of space. And, really, how often is the table actually in use? Once mine is filled with crap, it isn't usable at all. Unless we shove the piles together.

I remember when I always had a clean table. Not so long ago. Well, maybe ten years. any project could just be laid out and cut. No clearing or pushing of piles. Any newspaper could be laid out flat for reading. Placemats and dinner plates could be arranged in seconds. My occasional vases of flowers were hard to miss.

Right now I have a vase of "past their prime" pink roses on the table and we can hardly see them. In fact, I only just now remembered them. They could have been at the top of this post.

I just wrote, read and deleted a whole, long paragraph on winter cars.

I finished 10 squares with circles last night while watching television. And added them to my pile. Once I got going it wasn't too bad. I have trouble getting started.

I had intended to begin my food diary yesterday, but things got out of hand and I ate too much. Not bad things. No cake or cookies or fried things. I will try and do better today.

I'm going to get dressed and go pick G up at the Jeep place and bring him home. We may do a few more garden posts, take the dog for a walk and I'll see if I can get the Heuchera in the ground today. I have food to cook for dinner, but G may want o eat out on his day off. We'll see. Riley is chewing his dog bed. Wants to be at daycare.

My bowl today is filled with intention. I want it to be filled with determination. But that is illusive today. It could also be filled with resolve. Intention is better than remaining empty.

I intend to push the table to the wall. :-)

4 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

I really like the idea of pushing the table against the wall. No bench needed. Just right up to the wall. You can always pull it back out again.

gema said...

I have a similar table, the NORDEN from Ikea. It is a very nice size, we stuffed it into a small space...lol...but we love it. Love your new project, can't wait to see what you have in store. I think I'll come along on the 1200Kcal journey too.

Terry Grant said...

Keeping my dining table clear has been a major frustration for nearly 40 years! There is something about that nice flat, horizontal surface that just seems to beg to be cluttered with mail and newspapers and whatever gets carried in from the car! Argh.

dee said...

I guess we're in the same boat regarding the table. Mine is a catch-all for everything that comes in as well as being the place where my husband keeps his meds(he has quite a few) next to where he sits. There's just no other place for them and he must be religious about them.
I've always admired how lovely tables with a simple runner and flowers look...ain't gonna happen here in my lifetime.
I'm crazy about your circles. That fabric is so beautiful.
Push the table to the wall and let me know where to go to get that resolve and intention. My bowl is filled with Cheezits right now