Monday, October 19, 2009

And You Thought It Was Snowing

We watched the Patriots game yesterday (Boston) and couldn't believe it was warmer and drier here in Maine! They had snow and ice. We had a bit of rain. As you can see, from the picture I just took of my backyard this morning, we are still enjoying autumn. The leaves haven't even fallen yet. It's probably in the mid to high 30's right now but with some sunshine we may get up into the low 50's. Or Not.

I stayed in my jammies ALL day yesterday. I got the table done, the laundry done and the shirts ironed. And I didn't cook any dinner. I did work on my circles and appliqued seven. It takes me 20 minutes to stitch each circle. Tiny stitches. I stopped at seven because I had no more circles and squares prepped. That's what I will be doing as soon as I finish here.

G asked me why I was making them. He doesn't find them attractive. They may not be but it's something to do while watching television. Instead of snacking. And the finished quilt could look decent. One never knows. I've made beautiful blocks with lovely fabrics, and when sewn together, the result was blah! And a simple, nothing special fabric and pattern, when sewn together, is stunning. That's the way it is with quilting.

The fabrics I am using for my circles and squares all have a vaguely French Provencal feel. That's their only relationship, other than the French color palette of brick red, Tuscan gold, a mellow yellow green and a French blue. A scrap quilt. I started this project when I was "all a flutter" over all things French. Still am. But not as enthusiastic. Making over a hundred (200) of the same thing is not so much fun. And I still have the tedious work of sewing them all together. And the layout of the squares. Blech! This time I may sew them together into squares and not long strips. I hate sewing long strips. I ALWAYS get one strip upside down and it ruins all my placement work. No matter how many times I check and recheck.

Which reminds me. I have a king size Yellow Brick Road that needs it's binding sewn on in order to be "finished". If I finish it I can put it on the bed in the summer of 2010. I don't even remember how long ago I made it? Some of those lemon, lime, cherry and orange blocks had to be hand colored with dye pens in order to "get along" after they were pieced. OMG!

I have to be ready to leave for work in 2 hours. No West Wing to watch. Bravo is showing James Bond all week. Must be school vacation or something. I have last winter's wardrobe to try on (to see if they still fit), the freezer paper circles to iron onto fabric. G left me the truck so I plan on taking a few garbage bags along to work, to put in the dumpster.

I had time to think yesterday. I was angry at work on Friday. Most everyone else was scheduled for more days/hours than I was for the coming week. I am competitive. I want what everyone else has. So I was angry. Grumpy. Frustrated. And after much thrashing about (mentally) this weekend, I realized I don't even like this job anymore. Why would I, honestly, want to be there more days and hours???? It's my only social outlet. My only reason to get dressed and go out the door, except for the dog and his walk. Riley finds my conversation gets in the way of a good nap, so I have given up trying to talk to him. So if I stay home too much, I will be lonely.

My bowl today is empty. And the Buddhist monks say that is a good thing. It will make me more accepting when my bowl has something in it.

No comments: