Friday, October 16, 2009

Friend of Twelve by Twelve-In Progress

Identity. Now that I see this "in print" I can see that I have some work to do on the mouth. In person it reads much better as lips. The title of this would be "EYE dentity" and I wanted to emphasize the eye in my self portrait. Because it is my view, my way of seeing things that defines my identity. As a person and as an artist.

Passion. I, too, chose to do the Passion Flower. This is a close up of the block and I may crop it to a 10 inch square in order to condense the image and not have so much white space around the flower (which you can't see here, as this is tightly cropped). I understand that if we are limited to 12 inches square we should use the space wisely. I can always go back in with dyes and darken the background. I love the stitching. I haven't beaded this yet. And perhaps it will have more spokes. I'm not sure they can be correctly called petals.

I don't have a clue as to what to make for Twelve, the final image. But I do want to finish.

Events in my life "happened" at just the wrong time each of these months. I confess that my pieces were made in the week before each reveal. I did think about the subject in the 2 months we had to do the work but never actually did the work till the last possible minute. That worked for 9 of the pieces.

600. On another topic. This is my 600th blog post. I think I may have been blogging for four years now. How did that happen? The time passes so quickly these days. And, truly, I don't know how I would have gotten through this past year without you dear, dear, readers. (and the year before that)

Your comments. Well, I don't think I can express, in words, what it does to my heart to see a comment pop up in my email box. I try and reply to each comment that includes a return address.

My blog has also fostered a deeper connection with my children who are getting to know who I am when I'm not their "mom". This is especially true with my son out in California.

I may wish for hundreds and thousands of readers, but I'm sure it wouldn't be the same as having my little band of 30. Loyal, longtime readers. And the occasional surprise of a "lurker" who comes forward to say hello. Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

You are the reason I get up in the morning (to check my emails and read your blogs). You are my connection to the world. You know me better than anyone. I tell no lies and keep few secrets. And I am on my best behaviour with you. Trying not to be petty (often), not talking about people behind their backs, and trying not to manipulate you emotionally. Because there are bloggers out there who do those things. And their blogs are popular. And you know I would love being "popular". :-0

My bowl today is filled with gratitude and humility. And joy. And tears. And laughter. All the stuff you and I have shared. And will share in the coming year. Each year, at blog-o-versary time, I make a promise to myself to "do better". To make the blog more interesting, more fun, more honest and in doing that, make MYSELF more interesting, fun, honest.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like that Eyedenity quilt - it chimes with the part of me that likes 'primitive'art - looks african style to me ( which is a compliment). You do know don't you that when you get to twelve you have to start all over again with our colurs set?!

Jeannie said...

Congratulations on 600 posts! I really like the Eyedentity quilt and the passion flower is great. Which reminds me to go dig up mine and see if I can over winter it. Have a great weekend.

Hand Quilting Nana said...

I guess I am one of those "lurkers". I love your blog and look everyday to see if you have posted.

You are a very interesting person and I think an honest one which I love.

Congrats on the 600. I am not doing so well on mine. I love reading others more.

Linda

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Don't see how you could do much better. Your blog offers a glimpse at a real woman who works hard, shares her meals with us, speaks her mind, and is an artist as well. Congrats of the 600th post. I've loved getting to know you a little.

Annie said...

Joanne, those pieces are both fantastic! I don't do that kind of work but admire it greatly.

: )

Deborah Boschert said...

Such a wonderful post and such lovely comments. I am so eager to see these two pieces finished. That passion flower is amazing!

I still remember sitting next to you at the Pine Tree Quilt guild meeting when Velda Newman was presenting.

http://deborahsjournal.blogspot.com/2005/09/big.html

I think I wrote the blogger info on a tiny slip of paper for you. And look where we are now!

You are so right about getting to know people differently and more fully through their blogs.

dee said...

The eyedentity is great-you should do more of this. You're really good at it.
Congrats on the 600-I look forward to your posts and like to know how you're feeling as well. Blogging is a strange thing. We develope attachments to poeple never met. I think it may be like a hundred years ago and letter writing. Sometimes you developed a pen-pal friendship with someone, sharing personal feelings, needs and disapointments, all the while never, or hardly ever, meeting.
Keep on writing and sharing.

Terry Grant said...

Oh, I am happy that you are working through the 12 themes. I was afraid you had grown bored with the project. I too love the identity piece. wonderful! And I also love your honesty and your way of writing.