Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Daily Notes- November 17th


This is just one of the interesting illustrations in the sewing chapter (from yesterday's old book).  A diagram for a men's coat.  And, no Annie, the things in the attic were not left behind.  They belong to me and my husband and children.  For many many years our Town library had an annual used book sale.  Many of the old houses had been lived in by generations of family and when the last of them died or moved to the very luxurious senior living (and that isn't a joke- it's very fancy with sit down dinner served every night and the men wear suits)- well, the stuff - books- came over to the book sale. Everything thing else became available in thrift shops and Antique sales.  

Many many book sellers marked our sale on their must attend lists.  This book must have looked interesting to me- and I usually would send ones like this to my father.  Somehow it got into husband's workshop- the garage Attic.  And was left there when he moved into his new shed/workshop.  So now it's by the table and I have something to look at on days when nothing else is interesting.

I purchased the very very large old bird cage.  I had intended to have a large fern inside and hang it on the front porch during the Summer.  Then I found a large wooden parrot.  The two were enjoyed for many years and then things changed.  As they do if you stay in one place long enough.  The Faux yellow old French wall treatment was finally covered with Pure White paint last Winter.  The last of that decade of Old French in the living room. And all the swagged floral fabrics were removed from the windows along with the patterned lace curtains.  It was very 90's in here.  Now it's not anything.  Just a couch two tables and two lamps.  No rugs, no window treatments.  Art is on the floor leaning on a wall or in the attic.

I think in the past 10 or 20 years I have been getting ready to move.  In Spirit and Mind. But not in Body. This house and this street have been quite lonely.

I was saved from melancholy by my jobs.  I looked forward to each day at work.  The People.  It's been three or four years now of only teaching classes.  And work was part time and nothing after mid December till April.  So, I knew it would be hard being home all the Time.  And with COVID it is much worse.  In a 24 hour period- you might be the only person I talk to. Especially if husband is outside or in his workshop all day.  And he has never been one to hold a conversation with anyone.

I did my one load of washing, my pages in my notebook, washed the breakfast dishes.  I was wondering how to fill the day.  My eyes are still dry so reading would be okay if I use my drops and stop when I feel tired. Sewing- not so much but I might repair the left elbow of my sweater while watching some Storage Wars and Christmas Movies. It's a change from Law and Order.  

2 comments:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I'm wondering whether the folks in that luxurious senior facility still have communal dining these days. Or whether food is brought to their living spaces and they have to dine alone.

Joanne S said...

Hard to say- they live a very privileged life. With servants doing all for them. what is interesting- as they age or get ill they move into different sections of the place and if they recover- go back to the apartment life. Its all vey fluid.