Saturday, December 12, 2015

Walking The Dog


Any minute now.  G is taking a class all day today.  I had wanted the entire day to myself.  Baking cookies, reading a book, ordering gifts by phone.  The house is so cool that the sticks of butter I set out before breakfast are still cold to the touch.  I did manage to make the apricot filling for kolachke.

Thursday I tripped and fell at work.  Knocked the wind out of me and the adrenaline rush left me feeling faint.  My employer wanted to know if I needed to go to the hospital to get checked out. I didn't.  No bruising and no aches or pains.  I must be too heavily "padded" to get hurt falling face down on cement. My doctor would use that as another club to beat me up regarding my weight.

This is my fifth day of eating a Banana, Rice, Applesauce diet.  Had to skip the T (toast) as I am finding that I have an allergy to wheat flour.  Not the bran. Not gluten.  Just the wheat flour--the white stuff in nearly everything.  I know this is true because I made packaged au gratin potatoes and about 30 minutes after eating them with some delicious ham and steamed broccoli---my face started to itch.

I can eat yogurt with bran buds.  I can eat TJ's Bran Flakes.  I can eat steamed brown rice.  I can eat roasted butternut squash.  I think the vanilla ice cream was okay as it was "homemade" style.  Nothing much added to the cream.  I can eat corn chips, but not too many.

I feel better.  The itching and red scaling skin near my hairline was difficult.  None of the medicines would work.  Like 6 Benadryl a day.  Zyrtec.  Also my eyes have stopped watering.  And the lack of watering means a lack of burning skin around my eyes as well.

Wheat flour is hidden in almost all processed foods.  So "do it yourself" food is going to be my best choice going forward.  I am interested in finding out if the vermicelli flour in pasta is the wheat flour I am allergic to because, it's only a matter of time before I feel the "need" to eat pasta. I find it interesting that the bran doesn't bother me.

I am going to have to make soup.  Not that it's cold here in Maine.  Our weather guy makes up a monthly calendar--blue days are below average and orange days above average.  So, far, in December, we have had one blue day.  All the rest are orange.  And, this week, all the days will be very orange as today is supposed to be 55 degrees plus.

Time for the walk.  A large black dog is giving me the lethal X-ray stare.

1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

Ah the BRAT diet. I know all about that one since I use it to detox my body occasionally. Dairy and soy are no-nos for me and when it overloads my system out comes the BRAT diet. Good for ou for being such a good food detective!