Sunday, February 12, 2012

Friend Of Twelve By Twelve- Metamorphosis

Metamorphosis.  Painted fabric, commercial printed fabric, paper, ink.  12 by 20 inches.

If I were to have added a title to this piece, it was to have been Artist's Statement.  I had wanted to express how the written statement somehow distorts and changes the art from one thing into another.  Never what you had intended.  Not exactly what you wanted.  Sometimes, outright bull shit.

The art without a statement can be anything the viewer wants to see or interpret.

I took a partially finished segment of something else (how's that for a statement!) and added to it until I had reached 12 by 20 inches.  Really.  The initial segment is perhaps 6 by 8 inches. Then I had to figure out how to make the two sections work together.  I don't think I ever managed to do that over the entire surface. There are places that work much better than expected and others that fail no matter what I try (pen).  The bottom half is layers of prints and ink that resemble text (the statement).  The top half is pure collaged color and texture (the art).

Since I am not a part of the actual Twelve By Twelve group, now that I have "revealed" my work, I think I will give in to the urge to cut this piece up and turn it into something else.  And here you have the changes (none are permanent) I made after walking the dog (18 degrees today).


I am interested in hearing what viewers to this post have to say.  There might be a way to make all this work--something I am too blind to see right now.

I have to go find the URL for  another Friend who is also revealing a piece today.  And then I will link to her.  So, come back later.

6 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Well, I love it and think it is perfect as it is. I like the strength of the centered composition and the sense of growth from bottom to top, and your fabric choices are, as they always are,wonderfully unexpected and quirky and just right! I will be sad if you cut this up.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I'm a big fan of cutting, but I too would be sad if you cut this up. It all works together so well and the eye just moves through the changes. Great.

Karen said...

I like it too, particularly what you did after walking the dog.

Kristin L said...

While I'm not sure I get the artist statement aspect of this, I definitely see a connection to words, writing, concepts, and editing. It appears to me that the author is growing her story/novel/poem out of a foundation of possibilities, and as that "plant" matures the choicest bits remain until the final piece emerges into the light, framed and ready to be seen/read. I absolutely love the sky and the quirky (I think Terry hit the nail on the head with that word) green shapes. Rather than cut this up, have you considered adding to it? I could easily see it as the (off)center to a medallion style quilt collage.

dee said...

I agree with the others. Don't cut it up. Go on with it or leave it as is. It's wonderful. I love the colors and the design. You have such a style of your own and don't give yourself enough credit.
I think this new size will also prove to be a good change. I so disliked working in the 12x12 size when I did it several years ago for another group. I prefer this size which allows for off center design. That appeals to me enormously. A more eclectic placement always turns out to be a favorite of mine.

Deborah Boschert said...

I love it! I do like the red/orange frame/window shape you added at the top in the second image. I think the idea of an artist statement contrasted with the swirly rich colorful top section is quite interesting -- provocative! But, not neccessary to enjoying the quilt. It stands on its own. Your hand stitching is so playful. Beautiful!