Monday, December 12, 2011

When I Weighed 238 Pounds

I have this picture pinned to the bulletin board next to my computer.  It reminds me each and every day of how lost I was for so long.  Yes, I am smiling.  But I remember how heavy I felt that day.  How hot it was. How everyone else was slim.  Years and years later, I finally decide to lose weight.

Last winter I realized that the weight was coming back.  I had regained 40 of the 80 pounds I had originally lost in 2007.  I've now lost 25 of those pounds on Atkins.  Fifteen to go.

I know that statistics prove than within five years of successfully losing weight, the weight will be re-gained (plus more).  Our bodies have a "set point" of weight and fat cells.  Our DNA is programed for survival.  Diets read like "famine" to our DNA.  The body is always trying to regain what has been lost. It is a hard fought BATTLE.

Somedays it is enough just to have held the line.

3 comments:

Diane N said...

I had a bad few days and today I am reforming the line.

Bad weather makes it hard, I think. Too much wind, cold and rain/snow/sleet. I just want to stay indoors and cook or bake.

I wish I was one of those people who can eat anything but I'm not and never will be.

Grumble, grumble, grumble...

Good luck with holding the line!

Annie said...

Oh, Joanne, you look so pretty and happy in that pic. When will we get to see a full body pic of you as you look today? Would love that.

Carolyn aka Silkquilter said...

I agree with Annie, that you do look pretty and happy in that old photo, but as chronically overweight individual I sure do sympathize with your stated emotion of feeling heavy. I am currently hitting just about that number and am not happy about it.

I understand fully about holding the line each and every day. If I didn't lose, at least I didn't gain.

Peace and Hope you find other foods that wake up your taste buds and help you hold the line. (Which is also something we keep having stressed to us at the school bus company, but refers to holding the bus in line in the event of a crash.)