Monday, December 05, 2011

Proceeding With Caution

My day has started with sunshine, good coffee, a happy dog.  Even the blogs I read this morning were filled with good things like Peppermint Bark, nut filled Chocolate Blocks, and even some Holiday Cheer. Last night, well, I will forget last night happened.  Let's just say G and I experienced  a "failure to communicate"  which resulted in three giant wreaths hung on the porch with 75% of the lights working on two out of three (I only wanted one that was 100%), no Christmas tree in the tree stand.  G would have had to trim 30 inches off the top or bottom.  He neglected to "think" about calling work.  Where I was.  He could have driven over with the tree and we could have exchanged it for a better height.  Now, I have another whole week without Christmas.

I was angry.  Ate my dinner alone while he continued to nap on the couch. (yes, I came home, yet again, to find him sleeping)  Then read my book.  I actually think coming home from work to find him asleep on the couch is the reason I get so angry with him.  What a "Welcome Home" that is?  And he just goes back to sleep after we talk about how he spent the day.

Never mind.

Today I have been thinking about what to make or buy for my Secret Santa at work.  I have the gal who loves Christmas, pink, glittery things but not Santa.  I have the recipe and list of ingredients for the Peppermint Bark.  I need to make cookies to send to my son.  I am cooking my breakfast omelet as I type this; egg, cheese and sausage.  I found the recipe K gave me for Broccoli Salad.  It has everything I can eat on Atkins so why not?  Broccoli, mayo, bacon, cheese and almonds.

We were busier than usual this weekend, at work.  Which is good and bad.  We are running out of trees.  And a new shipment doesn't arrive until Wednesday.  We are also running out of bows for the wreaths. And yesterday I had to stop making Holiday Boxes because we didn't have any more balsam bundles of greens.  Running tight is one thing.  Running out on December 4th is not a good thing.  Wreaths and trees are what we are selling this year.  And poinsettias.  I stayed busy.

I also have to decide on the annual handmade Christmas Card.  I am not all that excited by the "making" of the cards this year. (I am nearly ready to just "skip" Christmas this year)  I haven't had any great ideas for a "tree" variation.  I've painted, stitched, drawn, collaged (twice), pieced (twice or more) in years past.  I wanted to do something "else" but nothing is coming to mind.  I could send a sprig of Balsam and be done with it.  Perhaps, I could print a sprig of balsam?   One thing for certain, I won't be shopping for anything to make the cards.  If it isn't here in the house--I won't be using it.

Nearly done eating my breakfast.  Going to go iron shirts for G to wear to work, finish the laundry, make my grocery list, make the bed, straighten the living room (full of dog toys), start the dishwasher.

2 comments:

gema said...

Just read in one of those cheap celebrity magazines that Catherine Middleton (Williams of Wales' wife)and her mom used a diet called 'The Dukan Diet'? Ever heard of that one? From the descriptions, it seems to be another version of the Aitkins.

Terry Grant said...

We went out to our nearby Garden Center last week and it was so beautiful! What a great place to work around Christmas. I bought a poinsettia that is bright red, speckled with yellow. Gorgeous. They had a huge area, where the annuals are usually displayed, filled with every color/kind of poinsettia--so many I have never seen before. Did they just invent a whole bunch of new poinsettia varieties?