Friday, August 19, 2011

Summer Breakfast

This morning I decided to have an actual breakfast.  And I dirtied two pans, a plate and a second container to accomplish this.  The sink is full.   I sliced the big zucchini from wednesday and grilled it in my grill pan with olive oil.  After the zucchini was done, I added cut tomatoes to the pan and let them get a bit of grill marks while they warmed up and softened.   The eggs are Egg Beaters as I REALLY can't stand eggs.  The breakfast was "just" okay.  It was the egg part that ruined it for me.  But I have to eat protein on this diet.  I have to eat eggs.

G worked very hard yesterday (his day off).  He mowed the grass, walked the dog, vacuumed all the floors and even found time to move a piece of furniture into the attic.  Riley was exhausted by it all.  I found the two of them asleep in the back yard when I got home from work at 6:30 (after a brutally tiring day).

The bright spot of my day at work, well, actually two spots, was getting to go along with the truck to deliver the plants for the lobby of a health care provider (we all love to go off site).   The foliage I selected and potted up looked lovely and was appreciated.  The second happy spot in my day happened moments after I arrived at work.  A former employee had dropped off some used company gear.  I snagged a fleece quart zip pullover with the company logo and a winter jacket with the logo.  These are items the company bought for employees when "times were good" and long before I was hired.  Both items will make the long, cold days of November and December more bearable, at work.

This was a thoughtful gesture by a former employee.  Others have left employment here and have not donated company items back to the working crew.  Four years ago a bag of used tee shirts was dumped on the lunch room table on the same day I started work.  I had been issued ONE tee shirt.  And was scheduled to work five days a week.  So, I looked in the bag and the tees were my size (at the time) and I took the least faded ones home.  When no one took any of the others, I took the rest home.  These are the shirts I wore for an entire year.  Each year, around Open House, we are each given two new tees and a sweatshirt.  And that's when I get rid of two of the old ones.  Fours years of employment and I have gotten 6 new tee shirts and three zip front sweatshirts.  Where would I be without the kindness of that first employee?  And now the kindness of another, long gone, employee who was probably cleaning out her closets.  Oh, I did get a fleece company vest/jacket when an employee departed to the Caribbean three years ago.  She gave it to one of the guys but he didn't want it.  I asked for it and wear it every winter.  Now, I can wear the fleece quarter zip under the vest.  It makes me wish it was winter already.

I got my hair cut yesterday, visited my bank and stopped in at the library to select five Cadfael mysteries.  I also went online to see who was king of England in 1142.  In the Cadfael books, King Stephen is in prison in a castle in Bristol and Maud is trying to fight her way into Westminster to get crowned.  Exactly what really happened.  Editorial Note:  When I entered college I had to select a major.  I chose "History" even though English would have been a better choice as I had entered taking higher levels of English classes. I always enjoyed a good history class.  I enjoyed attending the lectures.  I never read the textbooks I purchased.  I never achieved more than a low C average in History.  And even after two or more years of being an "Art Major" I never technically was able to move into Fine Arts from the college of Arts & Science.  My "cumulative" grades were always a bit shy of the transfer point.  My interest, this summer, in Medieval History warms my heart.  I'd be such a good student NOW.

G and I are going out for BBQ tonight after he gets home from work.  Last night he had leftover chicken wings and potato chips and I had a ham and cheese roll and jello.  A "real" dinner would be a treat for both of us and the fridge holds only the bare minimum of food.  Some leftover pizza, a bit of pulled pork, enough salad for Saturday's work salad for me, two more servings of sugar free jello, two large bags of yellow squash and zucchini and a jar of homemade pickles.

I think Riley would appreciate a long three mile walk today.  And the bed needs fresh sheets.  I also think a visit to the garden to check on the production out there, would be a good thing to do, after coating myself in bug spray.  The big handful of thin green beans I steamed on Wednesday were delicious.  This means picking every day so they don't get too large.  And I meant to pick one of the cabbages so I could make cole slaw or steamed cabbage or just eat raw.  I love cabbage.  That's my day.  What about yours?

2 comments:

Annie said...

I'm being lazy today, staying inside where it's cool with the A/C going.

I did go out to the supermarket, bought 3 large russet potatoes....$4.06 for 3 potatoes, yikes.I really get depressed whenever I go shopping now.

I've spent hours on the internet today, just wasting time as I don't feel like doing anything productive. Dh is off on a motorcycle trip so I don't have to share the computer.

Uh oh, hear thunder, time to shut down.

Take care,Annie
: )

Diane N said...

Ellis Peters, who wrote the Brother Cadfael series, was Edith Pargeter. She wrote many books so if you are enjoying this series, check out some of the books she wrote under the Pargeter name.