Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Purposeful Stitching

I am working on my 12 by 12 for the Orange Reveal on September 1.  Needle turn appliqué. This is the process I enjoy the most of any of the "quilting" techniques.  It makes me feel like I have actually created beauty and art.  The other methods are faster and easier.  I use them.  But the work doesn't have the lasting satisfaction of stitching the edge with invisible, well intentioned stitches.  I could have been done by now, if I had zigzagged the pieces to the base.  But, I decided to please myself this time.

How often do we choose the most expedient way of doing something?  Get it done as quickly as possible.  Today, I am slowing down, being purposeful in every thing I do.  From peeling a cucumber for my lunch, to washing out the dog bowls for Riley's lunch (he "asked" for his lunch today), to threading a needle with matching thread and stitching slowly and thoughtfully on a small piece of cloth.

The pieces I have made with needle turn are the pieces I turn to for comfort.  I love to trace my finger tips over the raised edges of each bit of cloth sewn down to create flowers, circles or even whole chickens.  I was reconnected to this love of mine by Spirit Cloth's Feather Friday videos.  While I watched the videos (how to's of needle turn appliqué) the desire to work with the fabric and thread was over powering.  I gave in, gratefully. Gracefully.  I will eventually make a feather.  Perhaps one of the pieced, stripe feathers as well as the embroidered Magic Feather.  For now, I am stitching carrots.

My horoscope for the past few days has been about letting go.  Being satisfied with the "now" and letting go of the past and forgetting about the future.  I think I spend entirely too much time in the past and future. Rethinking past mistakes and projecting those mistakes into the future.  Meanwhile, the present is wasted. I need to do a MUCH better job of staying in the "here and now".

For the moment, I am present and accounted for.  I have my delightful Cadfael mysteries, instead of crappy television.  I now have my stitching to fill the afternoon pleasantly as the Blue Angels fly over the house practicing for the air show this weekend.

 I can hear the jet engines as they arrived in town.  Tomorrow, a practice day, it will be raining.  If things work out, they won't be able to fly for the third scheduled visit in a row do to cloud cover and poor visibility.  Show visitors will be surprised at the $25 per person gate entrance fee.  We don't have a Naval Base any more.  The US Government isn't picking up the "tab" for jet fuel this time.  Really, they should be practicing.  I wonder if they have visibility issues today, as well.  Too bad.  With all my trees cut down, I could have seen the jets as they fly over my house.  I'm 6000 feet from the end of  the runway.

Riley is barking.  I need to check the garden, pick green beans.  And if it stays cool, bake a loaf of chocolate zucchini bread for the gang at work.  Saturday I teach a class on dividing perennials.  One of my favorites.  Feels like Autumn has already arrived, bringing my birthday.  Twenty five days and I will be Sixty Five. I've gotten so much mail (medicare) in the past two months, I feel like this is a "big one" in the birthday department.

Lunch is leftover, overbrowned and baked, cauliflower pizza.  Perfect.  Chewy.  Very much like "real" cold, leftover pizza.  Nothing like cauliflower.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Ooooh, my favorite thing to do too, needle turn applique, just love it!!

My daughter is a pilot, and looking forward to the air show this week end, hope they get in one day at least. I think her lady pilot club has a booth at the show. Me...... I wouldn't go near, I dislike noise and crowds, and the risk of plane crashes.

Also, hope the hurricane stays far away!

Take care,
: )

kathy said...

I wondered when we were going to see some 'orange' come out of your amazing stash. Looking forward to seeing what this slow cloth 12x12 ends up as. And the feather, what a great plan she has. I was thinking I might make one to send too since I've been doing some of my own for a while. Such an inspiring symbol. Hope you're well.