Saturday, August 06, 2011

Going Shaker

Slow Love (Dominique Browning) has a four part series on her recent visit to Hancock Village.  Which reminded me of the lovely book my husband bought me many years ago, The Shaker Garden.   I had wanted it most of all for the pattern to make seed packets from brown paper.   So simple.  So wonderful.  I packaged seeds and even thread and buttons in the packets I made from the pattern.  It was a lovely addition to my Christmas gifts that year.

I don't think I was much of a gardener at the time I received the book.  Looking through the pages quickly, I see many, many lovely gardening ideas.  The Shaker principals seem oddly familiar.   My dad kept his workshop very tidy.  Each tool had a place.  The broom and dustpan hung from the same hook.  A lovely hand broom was used to sweep sawdust off the table of the saw or lathe.  In our hurry to get on the road, going home, I forgot the hand broom.  I had wanted to keep that.  To remember.

I am not feeling well today.  What began as a runny nose, I thought from allergies, has now become a burning sensation in my nasal passages, not unlike battery acid, and a post nasal drip into the back of my throat.  I have just had an Airbourne tablet dissolved in water.  A dose of vitamin C which usually stops the post nasal drip.

This morning does have it's humorous side.  I have "gained" 5 pounds according to the scale and the waistband of my pants is riding on my hipbones.  Yesterday, I could not find an outfit to wear to dinner that didn't make me look like a person wearing a large sack.  All my shirts are too voluminous.  On days like this, I wish I knew a bit about dressmaking.  So I could take seams in a bit and make decorative tucks. Even the picture of me on Deborah's blog.  That blouse is too big.

Yesterday's dinner with my daughter and her man went very well, I think.  I don't think the restaurant met my husband's standards.  I had some difficulty with the food but managed to give most of it away to the other three people at the table (rice, soup and chicken in a very bready coating).  I had Cashew Chicken.  Lots of vegetables and plain unbreaded chicken.  I tried to shake off most of the brown sauce.  G shared his chicken wings with me and I gave him my Spring Roll.  I did eat ONE Crab Rangoon with that sweet red dipping sauce.  My small sin which is why I "gained" 5 pounds over night.  LOL.

This morning I had a MIM with blueberries.  It seems to take care of elimination problems.  Now, I think I will brew myself a hot cup of tea to sooth my throat.  I have six perennials to get settled into the flower bed near the deck.  Seven?  Riley is outside rolling in the grass.  He has found either a snake or a worm.  But he seems to have eaten his dinner during the night and eaten breakfast with G this morning.  He refused to eat for me yesterday, finally eating his breakfast and lunch at 5 pm.

2 comments:

dee said...

Water weight from salty foods causes a 5-10 lb gain. It's happened to me on weight watchers over the years. Pay it no mind-drink a lot of water to flush out your system. You have no idea how much salt they throw into restaurant foods and sauces. I grew up in a restaurant kitchen-they throw the stuff in by the handful as well as MSG which they refer to by other names so as to throw you off the trail. Drink, drink, drink. Tomorrow or the next day will be better.
Stay off the scale. Once a week is the Weight watchers creedo. I lost 55 lbs that way.

gema said...

Ahhh, get well soon!

Mind posting pics of your flower garden?

Inspire me!