Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Oatmeal Bowl

As Dianna mentioned in her comment, it isn't easy to find the right bowl for oatmeal. It has to be the right size or the oatmeal doesn't cook properly in the microwave. It can't get "hot" in the microwave so it burns us when we remove it. It has to feel just right when we hold the bowl in our hands. Not too heavy, not too light. Not too big, not too small. Like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. And I found the perfect oatmeal bowl. I found two, in fact.

And I removed all the other oatmeal wannabee bowls from the dish cupboard and sent them off to the garage. I now have one perfect cold cereal bowl and two perfect oatmeal (hot cereal) bowls. Life is good. Less is more. The Zen of the Bowl.

I may have to travel with my bowl. Making oatmeal for breakfast when I visit K isn't fun. The bowls are too wide or too small and the oatmeal comes out runny or like glue. And I could have oatmeal in hotel rooms since most now have a microwave, coffee maker and small fridge. If I had oatmeal with me and my perfect bowl, breakfast, on the road, would be perfect as well. I do love the McD's Bacon, Egg and Cheese Bagel, though. Tough choice.

The sun is shining today. Still COLD. But sunshine makes it feel warmer. We had pizza for supper last night. Tonight, special chicken with a mixed green salad. On Christmas Eve, roast pork with potato dumplings and sauerkraut. No pierogi. Sam will get her cheese pierogi. Wouldn't want to be responsible for ruining her Christmas. And later today, G and I will go out and have Chinese Lunch. A treat.

I am busy doing laundry. We certainly create a lot of dirty clothes, dog blankets and towels. And the pile of socks. The dining room table has gotten out of control again. The floors need to be swept. And the kitchen floor needs to be mopped. Salt and dirt from our shoes and boots. I also need to go upstairs and check on the table of plants to see if anyone needs a drink of water. And bring down any plants (probably a cactus) in bloom so we can "see" and enjoy the flowers. My $20 new amaryllis is ready to open and get all spectacular. The little paperwhites (very short this year) have opened with tiny little yellow and white flowers. Very sweet in the sunshine. My poinsettia still looks good.

Final Cleaning before Christmas. I promised Marianne that I would be careful. She hurt her knee last Christmas with her final cleaning. Cleaning can, indeed, be very dangerous.

1 comment:

Terry Grant said...

I am laughing a little here, because I have the exact same issue with bowls for my hot cereal. My favorite is Bob's Red Mill 8-grain, which I can cook in the microwave for 3 minutes. It is delicious. I found *my* perfect bowl at the Dollar store and bought two. It looks pretty much the same as yours in shape and size, but it is heavy, clear glass instead of the white porcelain. Believe me, I understand exactly where you are coming from! Perfect microwave cereal is such a good thing!