Sunday, March 15, 2009

So Many Changes

G's new schedule (which changes each week), my new work schedule (and getting used to it), Riley going to Doggie Daycare (with me this time and not G) and walking the dog after work. I'm going to be pretty excited and pretty exhausted for awhile.

I took a blurry photo of my rutabaga. Turnips have such a lovely watercolor-ish surface. (a rutabaga is a larger variety of a turnip) I was thinking I really should have the rutabaga "model" for a nice watercolor or perhaps an oil pastel. Perhaps the surface is more of a wax encaustic? But, let's be realistic, this turnip's destiny is a New England boiled dinner.

The weather, yesterday, was delightful. Mainers were out in short tee shirts. Not me. I had removed the down under coat from the lineup but still had on two layers for the dog walk plus a light hat and light gloves (which I removed). I will never be a Mainer, as I wasn't born here, so I don't have to demonstrate the "cold hardiness" that they enjoy so much. It was in the 40's.

The snow in the yard is compacting with the sun and "heat" making it easier for Riley to chase and chew sticks and small tree limbs he drags around. Small. Like 5 to 8 feet long. I'm hoping the snow has melted enough to get the gate to the garden open so I can dump my compost bucket in the compost bins. I certainly won't be planting my peas this week. Unless I shovel the snow off a raised bed.

The Art Group organizer sent photos of the group working on collages. Everyone looked exactly as I remembered them looking. I have to come to realize that the photo of me is what I look like. Old. Not thin. Double chin. So depressing. And I hate the way my hair looked. The double chin thing has always been a problem for me if I don't hold my head UP. And I am NOT photogenic. I deleted all the pictures.

Today: G has the day off so we will do something together? I have laundry to do, I'd like the floors vacuumed, the garden gate dug out, the collage materials on the dining room table returned to their proper places, sweaters to hand wash. My work clothes are washed and ready to wear, my lunch bag and keys have been located, the Jeep has gas in it. Ready to begin.

1 comment:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

I have the double chin thing too. I am like that sienfeld episode where the woman looks ok one minute and then when her face is in the wrong light ---arg. Don't be so hard on yourself!