Friday, March 27, 2009

Painted Papers

I found time (made time) to paint paper on Wednesday. Even though it was a very bad idea for my back which was unhappy from a long day of standing behind the cash register at work. We are being "trained" for the Open House that begins today.

I had a limited range of colors (four plus cream) and only the one book of old pages. the older cheaper books take the paint better. Shiny, smooth pages just make smeary messes.

I will tear these pieces into bits and then apply them to a surface of magazine images or other pages of text from maps, dictionaries and atlas. My favorite is foreign language newspapers and fashion or decor magazines from Europe. The disconnect of not being able to "read" the words, makes them more a texture and less of a distraction. And I'm all about texture.

Work today. Work tomorrow. Falling asleep while watching television. I slow cooked a bunch of pork over night with an onion and some garlic and this morning (ick) shredded the meat and added brown sugar and BBQ sauce and put the slow cooker back on low for the day. Pulled Pork for dinner. Nothing as disgusting as smelly meat before breakfast.

Got to get dressed and drive the dog to day care. We will be having cookies, doughnuts and potato chips for the Open House today and tomorrow along with truly awful coffee. Tomorrow I teach Vegetable Gardening in the morning and work the cash register for the remainder of the day. Woo Hoo!

I will take the camera today and try and get you a few images of the glorious flowers. I can't send the awesome SMELL of wet, organic dirt to you. Sorry!

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Wow. Those paper are gorgeous! I think the limited palette worked in your favor. Really wonderful texture. I love the magazine words and images peeking through. I'm inspired.

Paula, the quilter said...

Rough up the shiny smooth papers with a bit of sandpaper. When I was in the print/paper industry I loved working with the clay-coated paper this way. HTH