Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Time to Vote

Yesterday went well. I got up, showered, dressed and went out to do an errand. Today I will go out to vote and then drive over to my work place and see what's going to happen. I am not on the work schedule for November and I think I am happy about that. There are so many things I want to do, for myself. So many things I need to do, for my Dad's estate. I need time. Quiet.

Today's Painter's Key was about something odd. Abused children. And how they find happiness in quiet solitary pursuits involving the gentleness and nurture of nature and the private joy of creativity. I felt like this was a message sent directly to me.

Thank you to everyone who wrote to express their sympathy. The little messages brightened what could have been a dark day here in Maine.

I went over to FiberArts to measure and put prices on my work and add some additional small pieces. It took much longer than I anticipated and the building was very cold. I forgot my guest book for people to leave messages but have it now, ready to drop off.

I tried to explain that I do what I do, for myself and not for public sales, publicity or fame. I make things because I want to try a technique or try for a certain "look" or because it's something I want to make for my own enjoyment. Pricing these "pieces of myself" isn't easy or fun. The trappings of business: slides, postcards, files, prices, taxes is all more than I want. Yes. I could make money. But what do I have to GIVE in order to GET?

Perhaps if I were younger, fiercer, hungrier. If the money meant more to me. If FAME was something that drew me to it's flame. But I'm older. Time is shifting. I'm next.

So here I am, in my red robe, waxing philosophic on my little blog. The first quilt in my garden series turned out fantastic. I am interested in trying to make another. Fall. I am itching to get some fabric and batting and begin to work backwards (from my usual way of doing things) and see what I can create. The show, seeing my work as it is meant to be seen, has energized me. Perhaps that is why we have shows? To let the artist see the work as it is meant to be seen. In a room, on it's own wall, in good light.

Now--- go vote!

3 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

and a good morning to you. I have voted and I do not generally sell my work unless I am pressed to do so. I do agree that it does make a gratifying presentation.
So sorry for your loss.

gema said...

Wish I could vote too!
I'd love to see your quilt and if you say it is fantastic, then it must be truly wonderful! Sometimes you are your worst critic so it is good that you are satisfied with it.

One day at a time.....

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Good luck with your show. I agree, there's something energizing about seeing your work as a whole in a new space, rather than the piece that's in front of you right now.

I wish you peacefulness as you deal with your dad's passing.