Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wednesday, September 17

Always fun to actually post on a Wednesday. Thank you for all the "virtual" hugs and kind thoughts on my post. I finally got some sleep and I feel better. I will survive.

G collected a mountain of produce out of the garden yesterday so after work I chopped and peeled and made a small pot of vegetable soup for my supper and today's lunch at work. I added a sliced Delicata squash to the soup. This is my first time growing Delicata. It has a very dense quality. Rather bland.

Speaking of bland. The grocery was out of my brand of yogurt (again) and the only choices left to me were the store brand and the organic brand. The organic stuff is runny and very expensive so I purchased the store brand. UGH! It's going back today for my "double your money back" refund. Grainy, sour and the texture of school paste.

Tomorrow is my birthday and we have a full day's "road trip" planned. Breakfast @Cracker Barrel, quilt show, Trader Joe's (I want some of those sponges Terry wrote about in her post), and dinner @ Carrabas in New Hampshire. Riley has doggie day care at the breeder's with huge runs and a lake.

G ordered birthday flowers from the floral department where I work. It was so funny to see the floral designer and her sister making sure I didn't "see" any of the designing and ruin the surprise. They have the bouquet well hidden somewhere. I know it will be fabulous. Can't wait till I get home from work tonight to see the arrangement!

My son mailed me a copy of Rayna's new "how to book" on fabric printing, dying etc. BUT he wove ribbons into a handmade (and gorgeous) gift wrap. Seamless. No opening. In order to open the gift I have to ruin the wrapping. I WANT what's inside but I also WANT to keep enjoying the beautiful woven wrap. I should have taken a picture of it for this post! In future, my son will try to weave an opening into the design. If possible.

What's Happening: We emptied 4 more tables in the perennial yard as the 30% sale continues. The Fall mums are selling briskly. The local Boy Scouts asked to borrow my composter model for a composting workshop they are doing in October. My Spooky House has been reserved by Hawthorne School for October and the librarian has also asked for the Gingerbread House for December. Lots of good library books and stories relating to edible houses. The children usually write "spooky" stories generated by the Spooky House, so I expect to get an envelope of stories generated by the gingerbread house after Christmas. I decided to just go ahead and make all the things I would have made for my grandchildren, even though I will never have any.
I loved making the houses (and I loved working with my daughter on the gingerbread house "candy") so it's nice to be able to share them.

Time to go to work.

4 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Have a wonderful birthday! It sounds like a nice, full day you have planned. Hope you like the sponges!

Deborah Boschert said...

Wow. So much good stuff in this post. You MUST take a picture of the beautifully wrapped gift. I bet Rayna would love to see it too!

School paste. Um, yuck.

I love your holiday houses! Speaking of library decor, a certain someone has been thinking a lot about your Dalov Ipkar quilt lately. You're inspiring her.

Deborah Boschert said...

Oh, I forgot to remind you to save room for the Choolate Sogno at Carrabbas. Delish.

Libby said...

Happy Birthday to one of the strongest women in blogland! So, did you ever get the cool glasses? Would love to see a pic. God bless you and your sweet & thoughtful G, son, and daughter.