Saturday, September 20, 2008

Birthday Presents

The unbelievably gorgeous floral arrangement from the artist in our floral department. C and G worked out this gift together and I am very, very happy with it. All my favorite colors: golden yellow, blue, magenta pink, lime green. All the colors in my paint box and fabric closet.

The ribbon wrapped gift from my creative son in California. No way in except to cut it open with the scissors. I haven't had the heart to destroy this beautiful wrap and get to Rayna's new book inside, the "real" present. He used quarter inch ribbons to weave this seamless all over wrap which hugs the book inside.

From my daughter. A handheld, battery operated Suduko puzzle machine. I have done two of the beginner games so far and it is really fun. The machine keeps track of the numbers and lets you know when all the "9's" are placed correctly. Wouldn't this be fun to take along to use in the waiting room at the dentist or doctor's office? Of course, whenever I have something interesting to do while waiting--- no wait! I get called right in!!! BUT, if I have nothing to do or read, I wait FOREVER!

The delicious ending to my birthday dinner. A private candle to wish on and two tiny desserts. Both chocolate, of course.

G and I had a pleasant road trip on Thursday to the World Quilt show in New Hampshire. The show was dull, uninspired and totally traditional. I had always looked forward to edgy, European and Australian work in this show. Colorful, no rules fabric art. I don't know what changed, but perhaps there are now more "artful" venues for this work and they no longer need to enter this show. I think I will skip the World Quilt Show next year.

We found GPS directions to Trader Joe's too late. It would have been a 90 minute detour and we had to fit everything in so we could pick up the puppy at the day care boarding place by 7:30. We arrived to find him alone in a small crate chewing his blanket to shreds. I know he had a wonderful time until 5 pm but after that they just crate him up and leave him to wait to be picked up. Riley has spent this morning sleeping. He had daycare three days in a row and he is exhausted. Good for me! I got to sleep late today because I am also exhausted.

What's Good Today: Sleeping late. Sitting in the cool sunshine on the back stoop with a delicious cup of coffee and a dog at my feet. No bugs. All the ingredients for another pot of homemade vegetable soup in the garden. Books waiting at the library. A cupboard full of jars of Fig Preserves I found at a New Hampshire grocery store (ten). G loves Fig Preserves. I wish we lived somewhere where I could grow figs and preserve them myself or at least buy a crate of figs. I think I could grow them here if I could protect them in the winter, but short of digging the tree up every year and moving it into the house, it doesn't seem workable.

Today's Thought: Don't Work Or Think Too Much

No comments: