Tuesday, July 01, 2008

What's In A Name?

Today's Painter's Key had this to say:

Recent research has shed some light on the connection between self-esteem and name. Jochen Gebauer of Cardiff University in Wales has authored a study on the relationship between people's names and their image of themselves. "People with high self-esteem tend to like their names more," he says. It's called the "mere-ownership effect." It means that we tend to like things that are ours. Apparently, people with low self-esteem tend to like and even covet other people's things.

It follows that artists who like their name tend to like their work. While it's not necessary to be overly gung-ho about your stuff, it helps to feel good about it at least some of the time.

Food for thought here since I have loved and enjoyed the wonderful homes, luxury and excess some of our friends possess, I have never actually wanted to possess (and maintain) those objects. While I appreciate the art made by many artists, I refuse to "copy" even though I am VERY GOOD at copying. With some very hard work I could probably become a mediocre forger.

The "objects of my desire" have been more pedestrian. A good man. An even better dog. A nice simple truck. A wide open floor plan with lots of windows on the southern side of the house. A nickname.

Everyone has one. I never did. Until now. My boss has called me "Joanie" since my first day at work. He yells "Joanie" across the perennial yard or greenhouse and I smile. The other employees looked at me that first time --- they knew I was no Joanie. They suggested I correct the boss. I said no, that I liked the new name. And I do. The other employees continue to call me Joanne.

What's Good Today: A short day at work because it's sunny and HOT. About 100 degrees in the greenhouses. Yogurt with fresh peaches and raspberries for lunch. A book to finish reading. A puppy who wants to play. Leftovers for supper (pizza or spaghetti) with a big salad. The air conditioner cooling off the house. Ah! It would be a GREAT day if K called to chat.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

A few people at work call me "Di" and, like you, it makes me smile. It seems friendlier to me. My niece and nephew call me "Auntie Di" which I also like. "Auntie Dianna" (which is what my SIL used to make them call me because she thought it was more respectful) sounds so stuffy. Thank goodness that never took hold.

Deborah Boschert said...

A good man and a good dog are hardly pedestrian desires.

You have both. So do I.

gema said...

Funny, on the subject of self-esteem I was scrolling Amazon for knitting books this week and came across 2 books by Nathaniel Branden. They were delivered minutes ago, and don't ask about the connection between knitting and self-esteem! Couldn't answer that myself. Anyways, the fb at Amazon seemed good so they will be my read for next week. You know what? I never liked my name, and still don't.

How do you get your peonies to grow so beautifully? Mine does nothing, well not really. I transplanted it about 10 yrs ago and it bloomed for the first time last year and this year. I think it hated being moved and was being unforgiving all these years. I must dive into my Readers'Digest gardening book.