Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Wednesday, July 23

Yesterday was very slow at work. Not many customers. And the few who came in were trying desperately to find replacements for stuff that died, more stuff just like the other stuff they bought a month or two ago, sprays and such for bugs and diseases. Not the glamorous world of potted plants. The "make do with what's left" kind of gardening. I put together six deck railing planters with what we have left for a customer and today I will plant them up. It was quite difficult to work up 6 planter boxes with the few items we have. I didn't have 12 of anything, so we had to "wing it". I like that but customers are all into the 6 looking alike. I also mixed up annuals, perennials and some vegetables into the boxes.

Table 8 is near the greenhouse door, on the way to the perennial yard. I have been filling Table 8 with blooming perennials all season and selling a lot of plants. Coreopsis, lupine, foxglove, daylilies, salvia and now heuchera, hibiscus, stone crop and anise hyssop. I fill the table with trays of one or two or three varieties and try for an artsy, colorful look. Eye Candy. Yesterday I moved what was left of the daylilies off table 8 and wandered around the yard looking for things that would look good together. And spent the rest of the early afternoon adding more plants as they sold.

I have "just sort of" taken over Table 8. I was told early on that we (staff) put plants which were flowering on that table to show them off. No one ever did. So I did. And so I have done for most of my short tenure. If I work next year, we will have a Rock Garden table with plants suited to rock gardening. We will also have a much clearer alphabetic order on the 50 tables. And we will decide if it's Latin or Common names. Not half and half. Oh, yeah. I'm not anything but deluded if I think this will happen.

What I'm Thinking About Today: I had to show my driver's license as proof of my identity yesterday. Time for a new license as my photo is a really bad picture of a very heavy woman. And I don't look like that anymore. I remember, years ago, checking ID on a woman who wrote a check to pay for her purchases. I looked at the license and then looked up at a slim, attractive woman and back to the obese woman in the picture. My customer smiled and said "it's to remind me". I know, now, what she meant.

1 comment:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I hope they know how lucky they are to have you working there. I bet they will take suggestions of what needs to be different next year.