Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rose Campion

A member of the Mullen Family of plants. Elusive. Biennial. I purchased a plant many, many years ago and have enjoyed the "where will it grow this year" habit of this plant. I have seen it in quite a few neighborhood gardens this summer. Bird droppings?

I was reading blogs today while my husband tempted fate. He was cutting tree limbs with a chain saw on a shaky ladder. He's now in the shower, in one, unbloodied piece. I'm hoping for some lunch.

Anyway, the post I was reading, at random, was about just knowing when you were in the right place in your life. It feeling "right". This is rare. When it happens, the author says, things seem effortless, right, and difficulties take care of themselves. Are you where you want to be in life? What would you change?

My life is tracking in a good way. I feel healthy, love the way I spend my days. I was enjoying my shorter work week. Was. I am moving back to full time in two weeks. In fact, my boss would like me to work seven days a week. The college kids are returning to school soon but want to stop working "early" to enjoy some "summer vacation". Not enough "bodies" at the greenhouse. And there are many days when that is just what we are. Bodies. Not much to do. It's hot. No place to sit down. And if a co worker brings you a cold cup of water, you can only hope you have a moment free (no customer) to enjoy it.

So I am in the right place, for me, at the right time. I am always tired and sleepy in the heat of July and August so I never schedule too much. Books to read, showers, naps, Big Brother, the Closer and now Project Runway. Mindless. I think it's time for watermelon and ice tea.

I changed to vanilla yogurt, fresh peaches and raspberries for lunch with a bran muffin. Lighter, cold and very filling with some Grape Nuts softened in the yogurt. I have my carrot sticks and hummus for supper. No Yumbos. I like something grilled for dinner with a green salad and some rice. Simple food. I adore tomatoes and mozzarella cheese with balsamic vinegar and olive oil mopped up with a crusty baguette. I could not indulge last summer because of the diet. But I will eat tomatoes and cheese this summer.

My garden is growing. Yellow summer squash. Only male zucchini flowers so far. No zukes. The red zebra tomatoes are the size of large golf balls, I have two white eggplant and lots of small green peppers. My savoy cabbages are leafing up nicely along with the Brussels sprouts, the Romaine lettuce looks good and the leeks and green onions are perky. Beets and carrots are growing, beans are up. Blueberries and raspberry plants are looking healthy. Morning glories are blooming. We are watering sometimes twice a day. It's hot and there is NO rain. I wish I had planted potatoes.

G is ready to take me to lunch at 111 Maine and then Riley will be going to the vet for his one year check up. And that's today's schedule. Oh, and a nap.

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Am I where I want to be? Mostly, I think. There are several things in my life that I find annoying, some are beyond my control, so I try not to waste energy on them. But, they still annoy me. There are several things I am thankful for.