Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Walk

Walk. Just walk. No talking. No thinking. Plenty of looking. Smelling. Feeling. Sensing the weather, the barometric pressure, the mood of the day.

Riley and I walk the same path, the same way, twice a day, everyday. Riley always finds what is "new" to the walk. A stick, a puddle, fresh snow, a kleenex, another dog, people with umbrellas, boys with a basketball. The same walk is always fresh for the dog. It is sometimes harder for me to let go of "my thoughts/my worries" and just exist with the walk. I try.

I sometimes wish I had an old, dirty, rundown car. A car that I could load the dog into so we could go down to the ocean to walk or into the fields to walk or out on the clam flats to walk. And it wouldn't matter if we were muddy, wet and stinky when we finished walking. We could just climb back into the car and nevermind the mess.

Buying an old, disheveled car isn't so easy. I do want it to work properly. I do want it to be sturdy enough to get an inspection tag each year. My husband was given, free, a wonderful old Volvo station wagon with an engine that would have run for 100 years. He adored that free car and gave it a new exhaust system. The undercarriage was riddled with rust though and the inspection personnel knew of this defect in Volvos of a certain age and model and would look there first. When it finally needed a new tag, it failed inspection. And G couldn't drive it anymore. It sat. He asked mechanics to fix it. They said no, it was too expensive, too timeconsuming, not worth their effort somehow. He found another, newer Volvo with a better undercarriage and a terrible engine. He wanted to swap the engines. No again. No time. Not interested. If my dad wasn't in his 80's and ill, he would have done it for us. So in the end, both cars went to a scrap yard.

I wonder why G didn't just rig up a pulley and take the cars apart himself. He could still be working on this exchange of engines. And perhaps even be close to finishing by now, 8 years or more later, and we could be taking the dog to wet, muddy places for a nice, stinky walk.

Today's painter's key letter had this comment:
We rescued a wonderful dog about seven months ago. I walk with him in the morning for about twenty minutes and in the afternoon for about an hour on a wooded trail... every day for the past six months. I actually try not to think of anything and instead enjoy the new leaves coming out, the birds, the path, the aliveness that I feel very much a part of when I stop the incessant mind. I see people running past with headphones, and cell phones, and talking nonstop to one another... Why must we always be 'doing'? I try to use the walks almost as a quieting stillness of my mind, and I find that when I return, I am always more peaceful and alert. I also sleep much better. Walking is really a meditation for me. The dog loves it too!




3 comments:

Deb Lacativa said...

I did the engine swap thing on a 63 Ford all by myself. I was 21 of course and didn't care if my fingernails were black for six months. I was so proud driving that smoke belching leper around.

gema said...

Right now I am feeling so sad for your Volvos, such a pity that noone wanted to work on such a wonderful car. We have a yard full of Volvos. They are wonderful for carting dogs around in that nice big space in the back. I'd open the back of the stationwagon, our dog would jump in on the blanket and off we'd go to the moors for our 2hr walks.

Our dog is no longer here and the stationwagon is parked outside a 740. I passed it on to my eldest boy and he drove it until he could buy himself something sportier...an old Saab 900...also another favourite of ours. The Volvo is now awaiting the next teenager who gets a driver's license. We think it is the only car in which they'll survive if they had an accident. In fact, while the eldest was still driving it, a woman drove out of a parking lot onto the main road straight into the Volvo. Her car was an instant write off and she received slight neck injuries...our eldest was just shaken and the volvo had a bent front fender which we replaced.
I moved on to a 960 and in the meantime DH had driven a V70 and now an S...something, but not a stationwagon. We also have an old old 2 door oldtimer as well.
I think your Volvo rotten because there is probably excessive use of salt on your roads.
Our very first Volvo was an old yellow battleship a 400 something and there was never any rust on any of our cars.
Can you tell we love them?

gema said...

'rotted' I should start using a disclaimer when writing messages past midnight! LOL