Saturday, April 05, 2008

Alone - Together

This was my first attempt with the community theme. It is also a bleach discharge. This time a dark green piece which discharged to this lovely combo of moss green and violet. There were shapes in this section that looked like three houses so I added roof peaks with Prismacolor pencils and then added hand embroidery and some machine stitching.

The overall feel of the piece is that of a community of three houses. Alone. But together somehow, leaning on each other in the weather. Which looks kind of stormy. I feel that way about my little street community. A dozen houses on a very long wooded dead end street. Each house and family on it's own large acre, the houses sitting back at the end of long driveways. Helpful, kind, friendly (lending a battery so the garage door would open) but still separate, distant. Do they wish we had more contact with each other?

When I first started working at the library, ten years ago, one of the major benefits was getting to visit with my street neighbors. They all came to the library and we would exchange "news". Who had company, who was sick, who was selling their house, Who was buying, who was getting the house painted. Neighborhood Stuff. Nice. Now I see them as they drive past me walking the dog. We wave.

What I'm Doing Today: Laundry, dog walking, I may go out to the library and to the grocery store. I want to make breaded chicken for supper tonight. Need some vegetables to go with. May be able to finish my journal and begin a new one this weekend. Still have taxes to do but don't want to.

What I'm Thinking About: Am I still a quilter? A fabric artist? The fabric isn't as interesting to me as it has always been. I enjoy the occasional "sparkle" of a project, but it had better be short and sweet. The long slog is not for me anymore. It seems. Could just be cabin fever.

1 comment:

Terri Stegmiller said...

I really like this one also. I'm amazed at how you achieved purple from a green fabric.