Sunday, September 22, 2013

Some Days Are Worse Than Others

Today I was teaching a class on Houseplants at work.  I had organized my thoughts and done research.  Made copies of my research. I brought a cute (homemade) blackboard to the greenhouse and hung it up and drew cute little house plants on it.  I straightened the chairs, put the packet of info on each chair, gathered soils, fertilizers etc.  I selected pots and houseplants for a display.  There was coffee and a nice tray of cookies.

One person showed up.

She and I had a lovely one hour chat about houseplants.

My boss said the class was embarrassing.  Sigh.  The classes at the other two locations were full.

I guess it upset me more than I realized.  I ate a good number of the cookies.  Plus my bowl of vegetable soup at lunch time.  Then a few more cookies.

G came to the store with my new phone.  A little flip phone that he used before he got the iPhone.  He bought himself a yellow 5C which will arrive by mail in a week.

I have a phone number and no instruction book.

 G called (on my new phone which I had in my pocket--- and I spent considerable time wondering what that noise was and where was it coming from?) to tell me he was locked out of the house because we had had a power failure and he had locked the storm door and couldn't go in via the front door. He called me on my new phone.

When I tried to arm the alarms at work--I got 3 default codes and we had to go check all the doors etc.

By the time I got home from work, G had remembered that one of the garage doors had a cheap opener and he managed to get the door open and go inside.  I got there 5 minutes after he opened the door.  Still no power so we went out for Chinese.

The power went on and off twice while we were in the Chinese restaurant.  Maybe three times.  By then I just didn't care what else went wrong as long as there was food.

When the bill came G handed the waitress his credit card and before she could get to the credit card machine the power went out and she asked us for cash.  G had cash and then the power went back on and they ran to each other--her with his cash and he with his credit card.  Everyone laughed.  And cheered the return of power.

The lights were on when we got home.

I took a shower, started the washer with a load of whites and fell onto the couch.  But before that, I hooked my new (old) phone to its little charger.

No comments: