Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Another Placemat & Art Club


This one using red scraps.  Tonight is the February Art club meeting and we'll be making Valentines and paper beads.  I will collect any supplies I think I will need for these two pursuits and also bring my journal with the, as yet, unfinished doodle I began at the December meeting.  I like the women who come to these meetings.  They are open, generous (sharing materials always) and the chat while we work (or just sit) is ever changing and illuminating.  This, and the 10x10, are two new things I am trying this year.  And I am quite happy about both.

I found a blog post with a "how to" on making an eternity loop scarf.  I also liked the way the scarf was styled with a belted blazer and denim shirt.  Now I will need to go shifting through my stash looking for 1.75 yards of suiting wool or two 31.5 by 22 inches pieces.  I am considering cutting up the velour skirt in the scrap bag and making a silvery, aqua scarf as well as a wool one.  Perhaps a visit to Goodwill? For a skirt? But I remember having a wool calais (is that correct) skirt that no longer fits.  It's soft and was very expensive in 1988.  It would make a lovely scarf.  This blog always gives me the time and space to think things through.  I hope I can find it and that there is enough fabric.  I was much smaller then.

I have only one more of the time travel romances to read.  Last night I read my second favorite, Iolante, and it wrung my heart just as it did the other few times I have read it.  Such a strong and well written piece. I have my most favorite on the table.  Margaret of Falconberg.  I woman who could best most knights with her sword skill.  At least in fiction.  She didn't want to settle for a woman's role in life.  In the 1100's or earlier.  She was relentless.

Still haven't watched any Netflix.  Where do people find the time for it?

We closed our main checking account.  Had it since December of 1991.  They were charging us $25 per month to write less than a dozen checks now that our investments had been transferred to Merrill Lynch.  Of course, when we went in to close it, the bank accounts rep had a multitude of ways in which  future checking would be free.  We said no.  What I wanted to say was "why did you wait to offer us these choices?"  They should have been offered when the investments were moved.  Does anyone understand how to do customer service these days?

I go out of my way to make sure any customer I speak to at work, leaves with some information to answer their questions.  I offer alternatives and easy how to instructions.  I don't always try to sell them anything.  And guess what?  They come back and ask for me.  Not because I am the smartest or most informed person they talk to but because they can see I actually want to help them.  And every so often I get the answer right.  And they come back to share their success.  That's why I love my job.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Ah, really like the red placemat, I'm crazy about stripes and polka dots.

Have a good time at art club.

Animal Print Gal said...

Beautiful placemat, very happy and joyful!