Monday, June 13, 2011

Where Will It End

Clipped from the New York Times Opinion Pages:

I think this is all part of the me generation's march to self-absorption. It started long before MySpace and Facebook entered the picture. That social network stuff is just the result of and the raison d'etre of this same group of people. Me, myself and I. That's all that matters anymore and now they have a way of documenting it in living color. Who cares what these people are doing? Why would I be interested? However, they think that everything they do is interesting.


This makes me, ever so slightly, ashamed of even posting on a blog.  But, I don't think everything I do is interesting to anyone but me, I don't "collect" Friends and I enjoy reading my own blog words.  This is Social Interaction Lite without too much narcissism.   I wish there was a spelling that put the "me" in "narcissism".



2 comments:

MariMo said...

I disagree with the comment on Facebook. I started my Facebook site about 4 years ago and it was a great way to reconnect with old friends and young, sometimes very young, relatives worldwide. I have cleaned up the address files twice in those 4 years, because, yes, there were "friends" that were trying to impress with things that I was not interested in at all, and Facebook sends you a message whenever a friend puts a comment or new pictures on his/her site. I now have about 70 real "friends" on my Facebook site whom I have regular contact with and I love it. Blogs though, in my opinion are a different thing. One purposely visits a blog. I visit your blog, because it teaches me things I was not aware of before, and I love reading about your doubts and struggles and successes in life. But it is my choice, if I visit your site or not - don't you dare stop, I have grown so used to reading your blog at least 3 times a week - I need the kick!

gema said...

I enjoy reading your blog, very much! I think we live the same parallel lifes....sometimes. Love your artistic talent, it makes me wishful. I sew clothing for myself and family when I feel the urge or need, whichever comes first.

I'd miss your blog terribly if you were to stop blogging. AND btw, you have a diet buddy in me...only I am not dieting, just working out daily if I can and feeling better and losing weight...slowly, but losing.