Sunday, June 05, 2011

So Many Things To Tell You

And not all of them very interesting.  Ha!  this picture is from the dictionary where I was looking for a picture of a snake and instead found this flower I had pressed into the pages nearby.  I think it's very "artistic" with the text behind.

Remember the compost pile that needed turning?  Well, I turned it, AFTER figuring out how to get the LIVE snake out of it.  I have been feeling all "snake-ie" ever since. I wasn't even thinking about snakes and then I noticed a slither and looked closer and almost screamed.  It was looking right at me, whipping it's tongue in and out, in anticipation of biting me.  G says it's a garden snake and not much of a threat.  Riley likes chasing them across the lawn when he gets a chance.  Me? Not so interested in seeing a snake.  I threw rocks at it until it slithered off.  But, I had to stay alert.  It did return while I was working on the pile.   I managed to sift a nice pile of compost out of bin #3 to use when planting the new blueberry "Elliott".   And I gave all the other blueberries some compost also.  I then lifted and turned the stuff in #2 and #1 (putting it in the now empty #3) and added straw, smelly grass and shredded junk mail.  Now I have to dig and sift the "good" stuff out of #2 (where the snake lives) and use the compost to plant my tomatoes.

Sam came over and while she was waiting for me to do something, she found a patch of four leaf clover in the front garden bed.  Right under my nose.  I found two by myself and she took the SIXTEEN she found home with her.  Sam says I will always be able to find four leaf clover in that spot as they are "predisposed" to make that many leaves.  The daily (local) paper showed a young girl with 6 and 7 leaf clover that she found.  Are they luckier???

Yesterday, Saturday, the new schedule for the coming week was posted and my employer had to go around and say to employees "did you look at the schedule?" and then discuss why their names were not on the schedule anymore and thank them for doing a good job, promising a call back in the fall, etc.  He discussed the reduction of days and hours with others.  Five days became three and sometimes two.  In an interesting twist, my three days became four (with no discussion).  Friday is back on my dance card.  One Friday without me was more than enough, I guess.  The college kid that had the dubious honor of Friday greenhouse said it was "awful" and is happy I am back on the Friday schedule.  I think I'm okay with it.   My greenhouse coworker has turned in her notice but will not work the two weeks as she was reduced from five days to three.  She has a farm job that pays much better.  7 am to 4 everyday.  60 hours a week if she wants.

I am reading a book.  But losing interest.  So I may give up on it and try another.  TiVo XL isn't recording anything but is offering us a free month's trial of Hulu.com with old episodes of television shows etc.  There are shows I missed in the past few years and it would be entertaining to watch them.  Life, season two of Fringe,  Life on Mars (all the episodes),  EZ Streets (all the episodes) and even old movies.  Perhaps, episodes of Becker.  My dad's favorite.

Today I am going back to Pilates and Yoga because my back feels much better.  And I miss it.  My omelet is made (sausage, red peppers, kale, cheese) but it can wait until I have done my exercises.  Counting net carbs is really a pain.  Adding, subtracting.  Tedious. But I now realize that I wasn't eating enough net carbs and this may have stalled the weight loss. Only 2 more days and the two weeks is done.  I don't know if I will stay in Induction for a third week.  If the scale was showing a weight loss I would be more motivated. If I stay I get to eat something extra.  I forget what it is. Yes, my clothes are still looser and I feel more energetic.  And yes, I have no food cravings other than wanting ICE CREAM!!!!.  What I need is a HIGH FAT low sugar ice cream.  Is there such a thing?  Please?  I have been whipping heavy cream and eating that unsweetened.  So divine.

1 comment:

Carolyn aka Silkquilter said...

In the Atkins book I have (revised and updated 1999) there is this recipe for Vanilla Ice Cream:
5 egg yolks
3 tsp vanilla extract
2 tablespoon-equivalent sugar substitute (I used 1/8 tsp stevia powder)
1/4 cup water (I usually didn't bother)
2 cups heavy cream, whipped

Beat yolks, vanilla, sweetener and water (says to use blender, I used my kitchen portable mixer) at med speed for 30 sec. Fold into whipped cream, blend well. Empty into refrigerator tray. Freeze for 2 hours
Makes 8 1/2 cup servings
I often used coffee cups as individual servings.

Total Grams 30.4
Per serving 3.8
I think that is grams of carbs.