Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Almost Gave Up

On this little Gloxinia.  I brought the pot and two leaves home, at some point when we were selling them. A long time ago. The books all said it was "easy" to start a new plant from a leaf.  I was just about to throw the pot away, an experiment that didn't work. G was the first to notice a leaf the size of a baby mouse's ear.  Look at it now. Still pretty small but it actually LOOKS like a Gloxinia. I had used whole leaves and the one that sprouted had gotten broken at some point.  So, if you try this, cut the leaf like the one on the left from the beginning.  I am hoping this is the leaf from the purple and white Gloxinia.  Very pretty.

I haven't given up on the Atkins diet, either.  I "weighed" the pros and cons and decided that I like not having cravings for food.  I like not wanting a snack 24/7.  I like having my clothes fit.  I like feeling good. I don't think I have mentioned that I feel good while on this diet.  I feel happier.  Perhaps it's an anti depressant?

I came away from a couple of close encounters with South Beach advocates reassured that I was on the right diet.  SB uses "diet" foods like non fat, low fat, sugar free.  I have never liked that stuff and the carb count is always higher on the low fat, non fat varieties, which always makes me hungry after eating them.  I have to use sugar free on Atkins.  I don't like it, but it's one of the trade offs I had to make.

I am trying to drink more water. I am retaining water and can't get my wedding ring on or off my finger easily. It had been too loose to wear for awhile there, but now it's too tight.  96 ounces (12 - 8 ounce glasses) every day.  Not all water.  Just 12 glasses of some liquid.  Today I had 8 ounces of unsweetened soy milk with my breakfast.  I also had 1/2 cup of Fiber One.

Lunch was a slice of Swiss and a HB egg. Not the best lunch and I am very hungry right now. This is what usually happens when I eat too many carbs.  I am having my homemade eggplant lasagna (no noodles) with some leftover squash.  G is having regular lasagna and two dinner rolls.  I could also make myself a small salad.  Dessert is strawberries and heavy cream.  Tomorrow is 21 days counting carbs.

Time to eat.  And read.  We worked in the garden today and I got everything I have purchased in the past few weeks into the ground or window boxes.  The deck is getting cleared off.  Laundry is done.  A good day.

1 comment:

dee said...

Glad you are feeling positive about things. Pushing fluids always sounds like the wrong thing to do when you feel swollen but it works wonderfully. It's worth the trips to the potty. Get those kidneys going!!It's cleansing in other(ahem) ways too.