Sunday, January 07, 2007

What Does It Weigh

I have been noting what I eat in my food diary and using my European food scale to find out "how much". This means using a calculator to translate grams to ounces. And I have to say this whole exercise in food has been enlightening and depressing.

Reading the serving size on a product and then realizing just what that serving looks like is astonishing. I haven't been making good choices. By 7 pm my allotment of calories is gone and I'm hungry and pining for a snack. So today I will have a smaller breakfast, bigger lunch and a big salad somewhere in the mix. I'm sure I will make a mistake somewhere along the way.

It nice to know that my favorite coffee with one teaspoon of sugar and one tablespoon of half and half is only 35 calories. Tea with sugar is 15. My cranberry/grape juice with tonic water came in at a whopping 250 and made me very sad yesterday. I would have gladly traded that beverage for something more like cheese. From now on I will get the calorie count BEFORE I eat something.

Cooking is no longer fun. Each ingredient has to be weighed, measured and added up and then divided by portion to find the calorie count. I made soup and it was more like a chemistry experiment than cooking. But now I have it done and next time I can just cook Bean and Escarole Soup and eat it. Did you know that the tiny pasta in the soup had more calories than the soup?

Tomorrow I will also check a pedometer out at the library. I have been doing a 30 minute walk and would like to know how many steps that is. My husband has been using a pedometer at work and yesterday he had 14,000 and the day before 17,000. He's lost 20 pounds just by working at Target. Maybe I should apply.

For fabric content: I have been sorting the piles and containers in my workroom and now have about a 3 square foot area in which to stand. Today, after my walk (60 degrees/January/ Maine/ sun) I will empty my bookcase into that clear area and reorganize the books and magazines. I'm only "allowed" one hour of television each day. Got to stay busy. I have also made up bags of fabric to take to the library and give to my quilting friends. I need to do this because another friend is giving me all her African fabric scraps this week.

3 comments:

quiltcontemplation blogspot said...

I bought a weight watchers scale on Teusday. I would like to need to lose twenty pounds-one stone. I did ok till friday when I went food shopping and my teenager gave me a snack list---and I just had to make that cheesecake.
insert curse word here
dieting is hard but the results are gratifying.
I guess I will dump the second half of the cheesecake.

Deborah Boschert said...

Well, at least there isn't anything good on tv that you're missing.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Good luck, I doing food journalling as well. I understand that www.calorieking.com is a good source to find out the nutritive content of many foods, we purchased the software(last year) and love it...but the info is there for you for free.