Sunday, January 21, 2007

My Pants Are Longer

You've probably already seen this picture, but I liked it and wanted to use it again. As to the title of this post--- the only noticeable difference after 16 days of eating less is that my pants are longer. Ever notice that when you gain some weight your pant legs seem shorter? So this is the opposite. I had taken down the cuffs on my cordoroy pants to make up for the high water length, but now the pants are near to dragging on the floor. Fit the same at the waist.

I have also noticed that almost all my socks have holes in the bottom of the heels. I think it's my clogs. I think the socks are rubbing against that little lip on the back of the clog and wearing holes in my socks. What is that little lip for? Safety? So we all don't just slide right out of our shoes?

G is starting to call me Raggedy Joanne. I went to Grand City (a local 5 & Dime) and got 6 pairs of 99 cent socks. Only to discover that two other library workers had done the same. So we are all wearing the same socks. Grand City sells 47,000 pairs of socks a year. I know because the owner told me. I told him his new advertising slogan should read "the place for socks".

We went to Marden's (a salvage store) to get winter gloves. Everyone else is selling flip flops and swimsuits. And I needed gloves. So I now have new ones for shoveling and a pair for driving (which of course I rarely do in winter) and a spare pair in case I loose either of them. Which I have now started to do. For years I wore the same cashmere lined navy leather pair--so warm-- and then one day in the grocery store, over by the grapefruit display-- my right glove disappeared. I spent a good 30 minutes looking for it. I came back each day to ask if they had found it. No. I still have the left (left behind) glove. Waiting for the right (right back) glove to return.

I also got $2.99 good quality fabric for the Grapes of Wrath Depression Era quilting class I am producing for two sets of 15 children in March. They will be making Dresden Plate blocks. So I needed material that resembles old pajamas for the background. Threadbare. Tiny prints. I'm trying to put together three colorways for the Plate pieces so the kids can choose their fabrics and design individual plates. My purchased fabric isn't threadbare but I heard it could be aged by washing it in the dishwasher. Can't hurt to try it.

I am always amazed by the Community Read choices. We live in Maine. It's cold, dark and already depressing enough and they choose to read Grapes of Wrath. One of the librarians said it was "sort of uplifting at the end". I can think of lots of things that are truly awful and when they are over and done with-- you could say that was "sort of uplifting". Or not.

But my pants are longer.

3 comments:

Shelina said...

Congratulations on getting longer pants Joanne. Mine seem to have gotten a bit shorter, and I am waiting for them to "grow" again. I think sometimes sad stories help remind us how things could be so much worse, so they are uplifting in that way.

kathy said...

"uplifting" andGrapes of Wrath do not go hand in hand..., but on anothr uplifting note...long pants are the sign of success !! good job!

Deborah Boschert said...

I hated Grapes of Wrath. Bleck. Can you believe I never went to Mardens while in Maine. Big mistake.