Monday, May 27, 2013

What If I Had This At Home?


G has always wanted a greenhouse.  He's a botanist at heart (and by degree) even if he only briefly worked in the field.  At a greenhouse.  I think the best spot for something like this is the garage wall. The wall that needs windows.  My citrus would love it.  As would my turkey brown fig tree.

Now, I just need to purchase a winning lottery ticket.  Not for millions.  But for "just" enough to build one of these.  See the shelf on the left side.  That's where my tomatoes would be right now.

Work today--on a holiday, when the sun was shining for the first time in forever--we were VERY busy. Like the old days of six years ago.  The tables are messed up and half empty.  The floor in the greenhouse was littered with petals and awash in water from the hoses.  It felt WONDERFUL.  We even had an "iced coffee run".  So delicious.

My daughter and I spent our joint day off (Saturday) at Trader Joe's (even with a list I forgot to get one of the most important things I wanted to try- California Estate olive oil ) but I did buy a tub of dark chocolate covered almonds.  And we had lunch at Red Robin.  I had the burger with cheese, bacon, and a fried egg wrapped in what looked like a half head of iceberg.  I ate it with knife and fork and enjoyed every smidgen of it.  With sweet potato fries.

My weekly "cheat" day has made me very happy.  And, amazingly, there are some things that are just not worth the cheat.  Really.  There are things (food groups) that I thought I would love having again and I was not impressed when I had them.  Not worth the cheat.  What a concept.

After work, I filled four wheelbarrow-fuls with wood chips, pushed the wheelbarrow up a hill, over to the crab tree area where I had laid out lots of cardboard boxes.  The cardboard and wood chips will smother the grass and weeds around the crab---- an island of weeds in the midst of the lawn-- and it will just look like a "landscaped" island.  We are NOT going to plant anything there.

G is working on the back "stoop".  Replacing the cedar decking with composite.  The wood was shredding.  No bare feet unless you wanted to pick splinters out of your feet.  Before work we lifted the two planter boxes off the stoop with the aid of a large heavy board.  If that didn't dislocate both our backs nothing would.  We lifted but didn't do any turning.  Then I went to WORK.

Now I am going to eat something and settle in to watch two recorded episodes of Longmire from last season.  And, if possible, watch the season 2 premiere tonight.  Next week The Killing starts.  I love summer on cable.

1 comment:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

My daughter was here this weekend and she helped me landscape. She really wanted to find a turkey brown fig, but alas, there were none to be found. Good luck with that lottery ticket.