Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Taking Down The Chimney


G has been climbing this tower of scaffolding to get to the top of the crumbling brick chimney.  A chimney that never met building codes as the top of the chimney was lower than the roof peak.  So, any fire we attempted to make in the wood stove, smoked.

The first load of cement and other capping materials was trucked to the next town to be sued as "fill".  Saves us paying the Town Dump here in our Town for dumping.  It's raining today so no climbing and breaking up bricks today.  We (G with my help) lowered the first of many chimney liners down.  That's it in the right front.  We are very thankful to our helpful roofer/house painter who set up the scaffolding for us.

Double French Doors will replace the very wide brick chimney.  And new windows on each side and the left side corner.  They will have to work on removing the "cricket" from the roof and replace shingles.  Big doings this Spring and Summer.  Inside carpentry and framing also.   I (we) really hate the color of paint I chose for the house (it never faded like I had thought it would).  That's another expense.  A new color.

I'm thinking this will be a nice area for a wide deck.  Oh, I do have so many expensive plans for the house.  See how G is protecting my daffodils from the dropping bricks?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a pretty house! Seems you too are enjoying G's retirement.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Exciting stuff. I always think it feels so great to change your living space. Pretty jealous of your French doors - they'll look great.

Eugene Head said...

The height of the chimney bothered me too. As far as I know, it should be 3 feet higher than the roof within a 10 ft. radius. However, it's sad that it's taken down and would not be replaced. A chimney is an amazingly helpful feature. Plus shouldn't you take advantage that it is an acceptable feature in your place? I mean, I know some who dream of having a chimney, but geography and other aspects simply wouldn't allow. Anyway, since double French doors took its place, your house wouldn't be any less charming. :]