Monday, April 22, 2013

Start


For most of my life, before I started writing to you, I postponed doing the one thing I thought I wanted to do the most.  Paint.  Watercolors.  I postponed it in the 60's.  The 70's.  And with so much regret--in the 80's living in Europe.  What a wasted opportunity.  Six whole years of doing nothing and I could have painted.  Then, in the late 80's, back in America, I painted while taking classes in botanical watercolor at the Morton Arboretum.  Loved it.

Then, moved to Maine.  Fell for fabric and quilting.  Well, actually, I fell in love with BUYING fabric.  After I bought it and made PLANS for it--I lost interest in the actual MAKING which seemed tedious and was so filled with unsewing.  I unsewed so much.  Too much.

Then I discovered painting fabric.  Well, that was the end of my love for printed commercial fabric. Well, my love for buying it.  I still have a closet full of favorites.

Today, Golly Bard has a contest.  One word.  Looking at the paint brushes, it was just "start".  Now.  Don't wait any longer.  Because my horoscope seems to be telling me it (me) comes to some horrid end on April 28th.  Have I waited too long?  Put it off too long?  Missed my many opportunities???

Have you postponed something that would make you happy?  It doesn't have to involve living in Paris 6 months of every year.  It can be small.  I remember the first night we slept on real linen sheets. OH! Why would I sleep on anything else.  Ever.

Those paint pans, the colors mixed with water, the brushes.  They all speak to my heart.  That one picture says everything about me that I would never be able to express if I typed the rest of my life.

Start.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Gee, now you have me curious about linen sheets. They never entered my mind until you mentioned them, where can I get them?

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Yes, start. You'll be so happy, I know it!