Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Let's Sit On The Porch and Visit

I think this porch is the nicest thing.  There are built in screens to keep the mosquitos out.  Nice comfy rockers, a fan, wooden floor boards.  I want it.

I worked the morning shift today (instead of the evening) due to a schedule problem.  I liked getting home at 2:30.  Riley liked it, too. And then it got better when G got home early.  I had been digging and planting things in the shed window boxes, the planter in the evergreen bed and then the parsley in the veg garden.  All while being chewed by mosquitos.  I look like a circus freak, covered in boils.  It itches. G is cutting as much of the grass as he can before it rains----again.  Riley is digging holes.  All over the yard.

It is raining so much that it hardly seems like summer.  I finished Wolf Hall (great) and the two books by Elizabeth Hand (intense, drug usage, violent).  I can see the influence of Lizbeth Salander.  Tough, tattooed, drunk or stoned girls solving crimes.  Lizbeth wasn't drunk or stoned.  Now, I have the "beginning" story from Nevada Barr regarding Anna Pigeon and that adventure/romance to read while I wait for the book that follows Wolf Hall.  Bringing In The Bodies.  I also got a Tudor mystery set in Elizabeth's court.  The Tudor Secret.  The pages don't fall open so I would guess the library bought it and no one has read it yet.  The author uses words like "haunches" and "by the rood".  Tedious. I don't think I will read it.

Last night, my TiVo invited me to watch the first episode of The Newsroom, an HBO new series written by Aaron Sorken who wrote West Wing.  I read that the critics panned the effort and HBO is trying to drum up interest by showing the episode for free on the internet and, now, on TiVo.  I watched and it was good.  Not very good or excellent, but a pleasant way to spend an hour or perhaps two.  I don't actually know how long I watched (that's a good point, right?).  I hope things don't go as well as HBO wants and I get "invited" to watch a second episode. I will never be interested enough to pay to get HBO. These series on Showtime and HBO rely on nudity, sex, violence and bad language to draw in the audience.  The Newsroom has only the f word.  So, actually, this series could have been on AMC.  And, perhaps, it should have been.

My favorite show to watch right now is Jamie's 30 Minute Meals on BBC America.  Jamie makes a whole meal, including dessert, in 30 minutes.  I like watching how he cooks.  Later, I will write down the recipes I want to try making.  Too many have pasta as the main dish and the rest, rice or potatoes. But the salads look amazing.

G is finished with the back lawn and we are heading out to Walmart to see if G has a prescription ready.  Then we are going to eat out.  We have limited choices.  One of our restaurants changed it's menu and not in a way that made us happy.  Italian or BBQ.


1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

You have too much rain and we have too much fire. Love that porch.