Friday, March 04, 2011

Fantasy Gardening

A cup of fake carrots on the sideboard always makes me smile (and think of Spring).  Which then reminds me to get cracking on the Easter Bunny House.  Can it actually be a whole year since the last time I suggested I get cracking on the Easter Bunny House? OMG!!!!!!

The Pilates machine showed up yesterday.  Yeah!  Now to decide where to assemble it.  G wants it downstairs and if that is going to happen, I need to make a 10 by 10 foot open space.  Arms out to the sides takes up room as does the 8 foot long machine.

I also got my hair cut yesterday and we are back to the original cut which is so nice and perky.  My hair cutter had been "leaving it a bit longer" which just means it was bushy, which I detest.  Short. Very.  But it won't stand up in spikes (even though I would love that) because it doesn't grow that way.  My hair grows in one big, head sized SWIRL.

While intown for the haircut, I ran across the street to get take out Lasagna for G's dinner.  I had an eggplant, cut into rounds and salted, in the fridge for most of this week for my own dinner and finally decided to flour, egg dip and breadcrumb the slices and fry it up.  I tried, finally, the one jar of Trader Joe's Marinara sauce and will buy that stuff again.  Good.  I tore up the 4 ounce ball of fresh mozzarella, topping each fried circle of eggplant with a spoon of sauce and some bits of cheese.  Into the oven while pasta cooked and we had a good dinner. Plenty of leftovers.

While in town I made a fast visit to our "Green" store to see the organic seeds from Fedco.  They didn't have the ones I wanted (winter squash the starts with "ka"and is dense and very orange) but I may go back and look around in a slower way.  I have just found Alys Fowler of BBC Gardening and love, love, love her way of gardening.  I ordered her first book from the library and will buy her second book as soon as G gets home.  I don't know how to manage Amazon on my own but will write down how to do it tonight.  I want two books.  I hope I can recall the title of the second one by this evening.  I also would like the Kelly Kettle Alys used in her garden to boil water for tea and cook her lunch.  How fun that would be at work!!!  It uses weeds, grass and sticks to heat the water.  I could serve tea during classes.  Alys had a great idea for growing "micro greens" which I will share with my classes from now on.  You, too. If I had planned ahead I would have embedded her videos here.  Another new thing to work on.

The NEW iPad 2 is out.  I am so glad I didn't let G buy the old one for me for Christmas or Valentines.  Now I can think about owning this "new" one.  G brought home new YakTrax for me to wear on icy dog walks.  Wasn't that nice?  There are fewer icy spots these days but it's still a bit tricky.  I need to be very careful.

Dee reminded me of the "bedbug" situation in regards to buying clothing at Goodwill.  I usually wash thrifted stuff immediately but I really don't need anything right now, so I will stay away.  I have one of everything and a washing machine for my work clothes.  Who would even notice that I wear the same pants every day? And this year will be year two for the baggy green cords with the big tucks at the waist.  I usually wear a thermal shirt to cover the waist tucks, then a zip front sweatshirt and then a thermal vest.  I spend the day taking things off and putting things back on as the heat in the greenhouse fluctuates and with my need to go outside (where it is 20 or 30 degrees).  Knock on wood: I haven't had a cold in two years.  I actually think the cold air in my house has more to do with it as G brings home colds and other bad things all the time.

My oatmeal is getting cold.  And Riley is pacing and wondering when we are going for his walk.  I have recycling to get into the garage and I need to look for my seed starting trays to see what I need to buy. And, of course, set up the Pilates machine somewhere.  Busy, busy day.

2 comments:

Jeannie said...

I thought of you last night when I went to our local chain store. They had all of their seeds 1/2 off. What I found amusing was that almost all the vegetable seeds where sold out. A tribute to the economy and the push to grow one's own. Have a wonderful weekend. By the way, I once had a beautician tell me that my hair grew in one big cow lick. I like the term swirl much better.

Paula, the quilter said...

I have 2 'swirls' high on each temple; horns or wings depending on my mood. Bedbug situation at G.W.?