Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Making Grape Jelly


Sunday G & I visited my friend P and we picked Concord grapes off the vines P has growing over her deck.  G had helped her a few years ago to build the grape arbor the grapes started growing on.  Later, another handy person built the structure over the deck so P could get some shade and privacy.  P thought she didn't have many grapes.  We picked two full peck baskets.

Sunday evening I picked grapes off of stems until I had 40 cups of grapes.  I added 2.5 cups water and crushed and brought the grapes to a boil and then a slow boil to release juices for 10 minutes.  Then I poured grape slush into the jelly bag and let it drip into a restaurant grade container.  I had 4.5 liters of juice.  I had to let it sit 24 hours to form the tartrate crystals that are very bad for dogs and people.  Then it went through the jelly bag again.  I am a messy person.  There is grape juice all over everything.  My shirt, the sleeves of white long sleeve tees, my socks (stepping into juice).  The stove, floor and sink.

I now have the strained juice in the fridge and plan on making 2 batches of grape jelly tomorrow.  I have more grapes but I am realistic as to how much jelly we actually need.  And, even though it sounds good, I won't be making a grape pie.  Blue teeth.

I wore two sweatshirts at work yesterday.  And it was near 90 in the greenhouse Saturday.  The weather here is very, very strange.  Today is overcast, might rain and in the 60's.  I have layers on so I can remove or add clothing as the day progresses.  I have nothing to pack for my lunch.  Last night at 7, G made a turkey/swiss panini and ate most of a bag of chips.  I had Kraft mac and cheese.  No butter, soy milk.  DWTS was okay but I hope Michael Bolton goes home tonight.  I know DWTS paid a lot of $$$$ for Bolton and Hasselhof but they made a huge mistake.  And Brandi can go home next.  I hope her fans pay attention to her ugly personality.  A big smile and nasty inside.  I fell asleep before Palin danced, but loved that the audience booed her mom.  The host tried to pretend that the audience booed the dance judges, but really?  They were setting up the in audience for the interview with Palin.  Loved it.  She was all "hockey mom".  And that's why Bristol is on the show.  So Sarah can be in the audience on one of the most watched shows on Monday night to get publicity.   I'm wondering where Joel Grey is?  And the Brady Bunch.

Today I am scheduled to be working out with the shrubs and trees all day.  Still being punished for some misdemeanor.  I am packing a big Thermos of coffee.  I plan to rake and straighten and enjoy my peace and quiet.  It rained so I don't need to water the trees.  I am also leaving a bit before 6 to pick up Riley.  G has meetings, orientation and other business at work.  He is struggling with staffing for the first time in this location.  We are having staffing issues at the greenhouse also.  I guess the "bad times" are over and everyone can walk away from the jobs they have and go look for something else?  In October?  Hello!

Thank you all for the comments.  G and I were saddened by Danny's death, but it was quick (he fell off a roof where he was working).  One minute he was up on the roof in the sunshine (I hope) and the next he was in Heaven.

No comments: