Sunday, May 03, 2009

Rhubarb Pie

Is in the oven baking right now. Riley woke us up very early this Sunday morning (our joint day off), so we had breakfast before 8am. I set some "Southern Pork Ribs" (about 6 pounds) which were on sale for 99 cents a pound this week into the crock pot with some hot water and a few onions overnight. This morning I picked and shredded the meat, added BBQ sauce and brown sugar and set it all back to cooking slowly for the rest of the day. So dinner is done.

Friday wasn't a very good day. I said something to a co worker with the very best of intentions. She complained to the boss. He came out to complain to me. I stayed out in the perennial yard organizing the plants and forgot to eat lunch (and everyone stayed as far away from me as possible, including customers, so I must have been radiating frustration). Then, I find out I am teaching the vegetable class the next morning, with no prep. G & I went out to dinner and I had a large drink.

Saturday everyone is bending over to help me get set up for the class. Still radiating, I guess. And it went well, and they ate all the cookies. The rest of the day flew by. And now it's Sunday. My mantra for the work situation: It's not MY greenhouse. I can try and fix what is mine.

On that note: I got my first bill for the lawn care at my Dad's house in Ohio and a handwritten note saying they don't want to cut the grass there anymore. Too big a lawn and too much time. I guess there's no recession in Ohio. You can just get rid of jobs that are too much work. I emailed an offer to pay more. What else can I do? And I always thought the fee was too low.

G is getting cranky. He's tired, has no time to just lay around and nap, is getting irritated with the dog, is falling asleep in front of the television. I pointed out that this is HIS dog and I don't mind helping out, but I am NOT doing the dog, the laundry, the cooking, the shopping, the ironing, the bill paying, and entertaining myself while he sleeps. And I was just starting to work on dusting and general cleaning of furniture, bathrooms and such.

Right now he is outside yelling at the dog, who is digging a deep hole in the woodpile looking for the baby squirrel he caught yesterday (and G made him give back). Pretty soon G's going to bring the dog back into the house--for me to watch. NOT! Riley tracked and caught that squirrel and had him in his mouth. He wants that squirrel back. He wants to be outside where the squirrel is hiding. Single minded devotion to the task.

I think I will get into my dirty work clothes and go out and garden a bit. Some weeding. Some digging up and potting of perennials (in the wrong places). I may even plant some more seeds. As soon as the pie is done.

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

... momma said there'd be days like these...

At least you have the pie! Delish.

kathy said...

you made the first rhubarb pie! I always have the earliest rhubarb among my friends, but you beat me to it!! Gotta love the bounty of spring!