Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day

No picture. Things are out of control here, with work, gardening and dog duty. I don't even remember sleeping last night. Just when I thought I was falling asleep, the birds started chirping and I knew, just knew, I would never get to sleep, and that's when G said it was time to get up.

I'm working today. G is working today. Doggie Day Care is closed for the holiday. My daughter is on vacation in Florida. So I have to drive home at lunchtime, like I did on Saturday, walk the dog, feed him etc and then go back to work. This absence from work does not make Joanie popular with the other employees. They get to do the work I would have been doing, as well as their own. Not something they look forward to. And tomorrow I leave work for my doctors appointment. Yikes!

We finally got the plum tree into the ground. It still may be too low. It looked too high and now it looks too low. Not just right! I have all my little "starts" out under the oak tree in the back yard. They seem to like it and after two days of "daytime", they spent the night outside last night. It may be time to set them into the garden and let them grow. Not the real Memorial Day (31st) so I am being cautious. It still gets really cold here at night.

All my "cold" crops are going along nicely. The Fava beans look good and the lettuce and chard are getting stronger every day. The beets and turnips didn't germinate. Lemon thyme is back and so is rue, sage and chives (which I don't like). French tarragon is spreading everywhere. I now have two mints as the one I thought was dead, isn't. I have added lemon verbena, lemon grass and cilantro to the herb garden and started seeds for lemon marigolds. I planted dill but it seems to have self seeded all over the herb bed--which is okay with me as I have lots of pickle cucumber starts ready to produce pickles. I potted the rosemary and thyme on the stoop. Can I just admit to never using any of the herbs I plant and grow? Well, I think I used some dill, once. I have never used the parsley or celery. We did eat the garlic one year. I just like to touch and smell them.

The caretaker of my Ohio house is setting up appointments with real estate people, ordering the dumpster to be delivered and set up (ready for filling) and selling the large items I don't want to move to Maine (lawn tractor, rototiller, trailer, snowblower). I still need a hotel reservation, maps and a container for all the important papers I will need at the bank.

Time to go to work. Have a happy day. I hope you aren't working!

3 comments:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Except for the rosemary, I almost never use the herbs in my garden either, but there's something in my soul that wants them. I'm about to start the cilantro. Hope you have a good trip to Ohio.

MariMo said...

We will think of you whilst you're on your trip to Ohio.
Hugs
Mom

Annie said...

Joanne, I'll be thinking of you, and hope all goes smoothly with your trip to Ohio.

Good luck,

: )