Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Six Months

It has been six months since my father died. Six months of not getting things done. I had turkey fat sitting in a bowl on the sunporch (freezing weather most of the time) since Thanksgiving. I took care of it this morning. It hadn't really bothered me until this morning. And that's how bad it's been around here, for me.

Everyday, after work, I pick up the dog, do errands, and come home to work in my garden or flower beds. Before we know it, G has arrived home from work and the three of us sit outside for a few minutes to discuss "our day" and then go inside to prepare dinner, feed the dog, take showers. We eat while watching the 6 to 7 pm news. By 9:30 we are asleep in front of the television.

Somehow I must try and fit art into this long and work filled day. I tried working (writing) in my journal but have lost the "muse". I save all my good thoughts for you! LOL. Whatever thoughts I have, float away when I sit down to write.

Work is good. Heavy lifting. Watering. Deadheading. I go home dirty and tired. I found some new Crocs to buy online. Off Road. In Army Green. Serious treads on the soles. The website even has Croc boots. Butt ugly. Like something out of a storm trooper comic book. Water proof. I tugged on a pair of old boots sitting in the Annual House. Checked them for spiders etc before putting my feet in them. They kept my feet (socks) dry but then started "heating" up from the warm cement floor and the sun pouring into the Big House. So I took them off. But it was good for about an hour and my socks weren't as soggy as usual. Wool socks. I don't even realize my feet are wet. Wool Rocks.

Today I will be in the Perennial Yard. Sorting. Organizing. Cleaning. That's work. Annual House, Big House, Yard. There's also the Nursery. That's trees and shrubs. Not my business.

Today I will also be visiting my bank. To deposit four paychecks. I really should get direct deposit. I like to SEE my money.

Today we will be having leftover pot roast and leftover mashed potatoes and some fresh broccoli. Yesterday's dinner was HORRIBLE. Fried chicken in questionable oil. Oh. My. G ate it and thought it was delicious. Now you know about his taste level. I couldn't finish my first bite. I am clearing out the fridge and pantry and obviously some of these things need to go directly into the garbage can. I'm sure there was nothing wrong with the chicken. It was the oil I fried it in that should have been tossed. I had toast for breakfast. Plain.

It's 8 am and I don't start work until 11. I have 2.5 hours to spend doing something. Laundry? Iron G's shirts? Clean out the fridge? Read blogs? Walk the dog? Create Affidavit for the Ohio Banks? Fill out Annuity Papers? Deposit Checks in Bank? Clean one of the three bathrooms? Mop or sweep the floors? Dust (six months worth on everything)? Take down the Christmas decor? (I left the 2007 stuff up and had it for 2008-- snowmen look strange in June, but not so strange that I put them away) Remove and wash the couch slipcovers? Vacuum?

Now I have 2 hours. And time for another cup of coffee and the New York Times on line.

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Coffee and NYT sounds perfect. Sometimes you just need time to "sharpen the saw." Without actually sharpening a saw, of course, that would defeat the purpose.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I had company at Thanksgiving and we had a cooler of drinks on the back porch. Some time in late January I took the drinks out of the cooler. And, some time in March, I emptied out the ice and brought in the cooler. Some times are just like that. I'm amazed that you have energy left to garden at the end of your day. That's surely your creative endeavor for now!