Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Friend of Twelve by Twelve- Window

My camera is giving up. And the light here in Maine isn't very good. But I do like what I have made for this challenge. A window grid. The darkest fabric, outside the window frame, is opportunity, waiting, just beyond. And that's what I think of when I look out the window. What is waiting for me just beyond what I already know.

When my life is in conflict and I am troubled, I find peace and contentment, while staring out the window. It is sort of a meditation ritual. Life goes on outside. With or without me. My troubles are small in comparison to the rotation of the seasons and the planet.

The fabrics used here are all from a small package of scraps I received in the mail awhile ago. All blues and all unknown to me. I added the blue batik outside border and the small square in the center from my own wastebasket scraps.

Working on this piece was very pleasant after a long time away from my fabric and my work space. I have been doing work with paper in collage and working in my journal. This is my first piece of fabric art in 2009. I need to make more.

I like Deborah's idea of a piece each day for a specific period of time. For her, it's Lent. I don't know what I will decide to do: perhaps a piece on my days off.

3 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

I love it. Of course, I am drawn to the lovely color palette. The composition is so familiar and yet you've made it so dynamic and interesting with the fabrics and the stitching. That green piece in the center is a bit plant-like... so that makes me think of growth, which goes with the idea of opportunity, don't you think? Great job.

Terry Grant said...

I love the richness of texture and color here. The composition draws you right into the middle, just as a window draws you to what is beyond it.

gema said...

Love your fabrics, the curved outer frame gives the window a 3D look.
I am sooooo going to start a journal. Purchased my moleskines some weeks ago. I hope to find/develop more structure in my daily activities....in other words...get my 'act' together. Thanks for showing your beautiful journal and making it so appealing.