Friday, May 23, 2008

Stoop Step 2

I published this once and the second time is never as "fresh", so bear with me. this is the back stoop where I get my suntan. I call it the "Provencal Coast". The original stoop, portion closest to the house (duh), was too far from the lawn and one (me) had difficulty making the transition, especially with a young dog. A stoop step was needed.

G built one while I was at work and was quite proud of it. I thought it too shallow at the back and still too deep at the front. I needed a hand UP to get on the step. so G had to take it apart and re-build it. Now it is perfect. I can go up and down easily, the dog likes to sit on the lower section, and I have room for two planter boxes on the ends. Keep me from falling off the side.

Later today I plan to plant the boxes up with Supertunias (sky blue), Million Bells (lemon yellow), Tiddlewinks (bright gold), Verbena in raspberry with a pot of Diamond Dust (dark green leaves and tiny sparkling white flowers). Everything has a spreading growth pattern so the boxes should become quite luxuriant with enough Miracle Grow.

I am going to get my nails done today and I need another haircut. In three weeks, my hair has grown like crazy. G says that's what happens in a greenhouse. So I guess I am fertilizing myself as well as the plants.

I also have two Nikko Blue hydrangeas to plant and sulfur to add to the soil (I must remember to take some sulfur to work for a customer), and a Nova Zema (dark red) rhodie to plant and one to transplant. I also have some plants in a plastic bag that overwintered in the garage. They are sprouting leaves. A plant that vigorous, well, I need to plant it. Astilbe. The geranium I got from a friend didn't make it so I think I will buy one from work-- Brookside which is an improved Johnson's Blue. I love blue flowers. And pink roses.

We finally got some yellow Moonbeam yarrow at work, so tomorrow I will buy some of that also. I want to buy Flax. But it never lives. I need to throw down some Rose Campion seeds so I can have flowers NEXT year. Biennial. Yellow, blue and magenta. My garden colors. And I have a "truckload" of weeding to do. And it still hasn't rained so the dirt is rock hard. Not good weeding. G is thinking of installing (building) an over head irrigation sprinkler like we have at work. Timing is the key to this kind of system. The leaves have to be able to DRY completely before it gets cool in the afternoon.

What's Good: A customer asked for Radish Flats. Started radish plants. Isn't that cute? Then later in the day another asked for Carrot Flats. I gently told them they had to use seeds. The old fashioned way to garden. Mail from Dianne in Hawaii. Thank You!!!! Can't wait to have time to sew this up. Day Off.

1 comment:

gema said...

I clicked on the picture and saw the previous depth of the stoop! Definitely needed that solution.

I love the new truck, that would be perfect for all the garden stuff that I purchase and for all the old sewing machines that I cart around!

I gave up my station wagon for a sedan, reasoning that I no longer have small children or their equipment to lug around. Now I hardly have space for groceries and my sedan is BIG!

How about some pictures of your garden?

I am going to post some of mine, especially after last night's Feiern here, then I'll link it.