Friday, June 29, 2007

French Hens

A few years ago my Dad was very ill and I went to Ohio and stayed with him for 5 weeks while he got his "house legs" back and could care for himself again. While there I had this "project" with me. First, I had to redraft the pattern (yes, I used a pattern) to a larger size. This finished quilt is 53 by 53.

I cut and freezer papered a chicken head each day and in the evening, while watching television with my Dad I needleturned the pieces. My Dad always stayed up to see the finished work. He found the process fascinating and was amazed that I could make something so quickly.


Each chicken head has several fabrics from my "chicken box". Years ago Kathy and I were going to make one of those Maggie Walker chicken quilts. Very realistic roosters and hens. So we went shopping for "chicken fabric". Little quarter yards of strange stuff that had feathery or chickeny tendencies. Of course, the fabric had no use in ordinary work. So it all went into the "chicken box". A large shoebox which I carried with me to my Dad's house.

I also brought along my "French" fabric for the baskets. And appliqued the basket handles with needleturn and pieced the baskets. Most of you only know me from this blog--but I absolutely HATE sewing little bits together endlessly. I will make ONE block. I will despise making 20. And be suicidal if faced with more than 20. The fact that I pieced these baskets amazes my friends. Bias. Need I say more?

Yesterday, Kathy brought the newly quilted-- she has a long arm-- French Hens to me at the book sale (it has taken years to get the thing ready for quilting) and we spread it out on one of the tables and I was very happy. I now have it pinned to my dining room wall where I can look at it from my computer chair and see it and smile.

And I remember 12 days of chicken applique and another 13 of basket handles at my Dad's. Well, I probably did two or three handles each evening and not just one. And I remember the sewing "set up" in his spare room where I cut out the blocks. I remember it all when I look at this quilt. I think I'll give Dad a call today and tell him "I was just thinking of you".

4 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Such a lovely story and a lovely quilt. The wonderful whimsical variety of fabrics make it "you."

Judy Wise said...

What a beautiful quilt. Your eye is unerring; that's a gift. And "Pleasantville" is also one of my favorite movies.

Good luck turning rose cuttings into bushes.

dee said...

I can't tell you how sweet this quilt looks to me. You have such a great sense of color. I love chickens-they're just funny looking and they make me smile. You did such a great job and the story of being with your Dad while you worked on it is very nice. Beautiful work-call your Dad.

Susie Monday said...

Love your chicken heads. And the story.