Friday, September 29, 2006

I'm Back!

I am exhausted! I think emotional stress is far more wearing on a person than physical stress. And living with an 84 year old for a week--- well, it's different.

I now know that I may be a good cook in general, but I am a lousey cook for someone with dentures.

I have to wean myself from watching television with the volume cranked up to maximum. I also have to stop myself from calling everyone on televison or the news "that asshole" as my Dad does about a bazillion times a day. Each and every day I would call my husband to report the "daily expletive" and some of them were quite creative.

I now know the two dogs are named Buddy and Punky and not "you assholes". My Dad had a stroke a few years ago and he still has trouble with his speech. When in doubt he goes with the word he can always say. Interesting isn't it?

I will forever remember the absolute JOY on my father's face when the doctor told him he could mow the grass again. On his riding mower. And then I sat on the front and back porch to watch--just in case-- and, well, I hope I have something in MY life that makes me that happy when I am 84.

I read a book. I made four applique (by hand) borders using dull scissors to cut the fabric for reverse applique. I listened to my Dad talk about the things he wanted to talk about. I drove the car (and Dad) to the store and doctor. I had a very nice time and I am happy I went.

When I returned to my own little house, I found it very clean. My husband had spent his three days off cleaning, vacuuming, and putting stuff away. He even did laundry. Everything looks fabulous. This sort of made up for the letter from the IRS.

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

I'm so glad you are home. I missed you! Indeed... perspective is good.