Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Whistle While You Work

In other words-- enjoy what you do.

This quote from my "Painter's Keys" letter for today on tips on getting the most out of your work day.

"Work doggedly, one thing after the other.
Begin work early, finish many things each day.
Work on what comes to hand, what demands attention.
Have rough plans--work them daily.
Rest from the work--look at the water."

I read this and reflected on my most productive and least productive work periods. When I had a deadline and allocated a certain amount of work to each day--I got a tremendous amount of work--and truly GOOD work done. When I just sit and say " oh, I have so much to get done" I rarely get anything done.

I work best from a very specific list of tasks to do. Broken down into segments. If I am working on a raw edge applique piece then making/cutting pieces might be one segment. The next the gluing down of these loose pieces. Then the zigzag topstitching with invisible thread with a stabilizer of doctor's examination table paper underneath. This part takes the longest and a good book on tape or loud, operatic music helps move me along.

The next part is my least favorite--always a disaster-- squaring up and evening all the sides. This is where I go astray. Wander off. Procrastinate. Then my second least favorite part. Backing (choosing) and batting. I don't like this because I don't have a large surface, free and clean, to work on. I think the surface is also the reason I don't do well on the squaring up. What usually happens is that I spend so much time cleaning the house looking for a good "spot" to work that I never get anything backed and batted.

Once a piece has backing (finally!), then the work segments are quilting and choosing and making the binding. I think of binding as "jewelry" for the piece and I spend quite a bit of time auditioning all manner of fabric until I find "the one" that makes the piece sing. I think the binding should "represent and repeat" the themes in the quilt body.

Quilting. I let the piece tell me what it needs or doesn't need as quilting. My biggest criticism of pieces in quilt shows is the quilting. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Too much of the wrong stuff can destroy a good design. And that's all I'm going to say.

So while writing this post, I have also blanched and peeled and seeded all the tomatoes on my counter and will now pack them in freezer bags. I also made a big pot of fresh tomato and basil soup for my husband's supper. I have fresh salsa to make (tomato, red onion, jalapeno and lime juice) and then a shower and to work at the library. Where I am always very happy. I hope you are too.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I work best with little checklists. If I just make a mental list, I tend to use the "I forgot" excuse or "later". If it's written down with a box for checking it off, then I am more likely to do what needs to be done. For example: I had a big list this weekend and got everything but two things done. So I created another list for today and will be finishing it after work. Then I don't have anything pressing for a couple days.

Deborah Boschert said...

I agree! This is exactly correct. I often wander about knowing I have tons to do and not knowing where to begin. Arg. I also hate squaring up -- which I way I no longer make square quilts. Not a 90 degree angle to be seen.