Saturday, August 10, 2013

Summer Food


This is the third day in a row just being home.   And the second day after using that relaxation technique.  I slept.  All night.  Again.   I feel so relaxed and happy.  Too bad I have to go to work tomorrow.  Perhaps there is a relaxation therapy for work????

I also took a few minutes (after breakfast of yogurt and ripe cherries) to go into the garden to pick baby green beans, a few cucumbers, a small zucchini, a few ripe tomatoes (small ones), four lovely yellow onions, a bowl of ripe blackberries (for lunch tomorrow at work) and two perfectly lovely purple oriental eggplant.  No summer squash so instead I picked the male flowers and stuffed them with cream cheese mixed with egg and Parmesan cheese (cream cheese because I forgot to buy ricotta).  I will batter them and fry them later for dinner.  I forgot the ricotta because a couple was standing in front of the section of the cooler where it is stocked and they wouldn't move out of the way.  I walked past to get something else and then forgot to go back.

Because I REALLY wanted a big pot of fried, sliced yellow squash with onions---I went to the grocery and bought 4.4 pounds of the baby ones at the farm stand our grocery has.  Local farm grown produce. Expensive but fresh.  We'll be having fried squash with steamed rice, ripe tomato slices, fried squash blossoms and chicken tonight.  Perhaps, someday soon, my own garden will produce 4.4 pounds of yellow squash.  If all goes well and we like the blossoms---we'll be eating all the garden can produce this coming week.  Or, more likely, I will be eating them. G is not that interested in squash.  The tomatoes and cheese yesterday was DIVINE.

What are you eating this summer?  Are you trying to eat "locally" produced food?

It stopped raining late yesterday and today the sun was shining.  G says our rain gauge recorded an inch of rain yesterday for a total of 2.5 inches in the past week.   G has not had to water the garden this week.

We watched the first two episodes of season two of Homeland last night.  Disturbing but good.  I wondered if we would be able to watch season two--but it loaded and we watched.  Next, I will try to see if we can watch Game of Thrones.  The early seasons.  I haven't been able to get Newsroom to load and play.  I keep trying.  And there's always Breaking Bad.

I've been listening to sirens (police or fire) for the past 15 minutes.  Something terrible has or is happening in my neighborhood.  I think I'll try and find out.  Have a happy weekend!!!!

1 comment:

dee said...

Yes we eat locally when ever possible. Our grocery has a grown locally section this time of year and it comes from the eastern most end of the island. So delicious. Yesterday I stood at the sink and ate an enormous sliced really ripe tomato with just a sprinkle of sea salt. It didn't even make it to the Kitchen sink sandwich I had in mind. Heavenly. The corn is coming in pretty good now too. Super sweet. I could easily be a vegetarian this time of year...well..except for that quarter pounder with cheese that the kids brought me back around 7.