Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Not Yet


I am getting impatient.  I want squash.  These, from last year, look so damn good.  I have a recipe for an uncooked pasta sauce of crispy bacon, garlic, shredded, salted and squeezed dry yellow squash (three), kernels cut from two raw ears of corn, olive oil, basil, s/p all mixed with one pound of cooked orecchiette pasta (and a bit of the salted cooking water to sauce things up) and sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.  Eaten as it is mixed or cold or warmed up--whatever.  Perfect summer food.

Come on squash.  The plants are huge and there are SO MANY boy flowers and bees.  Let's get busy girls!

The corn has set ears.  Now we just have to wait for them to grow. G is figuring we could, possibly, have between 40 and 100 ears of corn out there.  I picked a bowl full of tomatoes today.  And a little red bell pepper.  Green beans.  Another bowl of cucumbers (pickling and burpless). And enough blackberries for eating with yogurt or just eating while standing in the blackberry patch. Riley decided he doesn't like blackberries or green beans or cherry tomatoes.  All things he ate in his first year as a dog.  He still likes raspberries and blueberries.

Dee has reminded me of her love of eggplant, tomatoes etc (caponata) but with green and black olives added.  I happen to have a tub of marinated Greek (black) and green (French)  olives in the fridge.  They are too salty for out of hand snacking (the purpose for which I had wanted them)--- but perfect to slide into the ratatouille I made.

I have almost enough cucumbers to make up a jar of sweet and salty refrigerator pickles.  I made them first for my daughter and, now, make them for her using all sorts of vegetables.  She likes it made with cauliflower or carrots or both.  When I make a jar--I'll write about it here.  Super easy.  Super tasty if you like salty/sweet/vinegary stuff.  And you can add any vegetable or vegetables you like.

I had some trouble with the relaxation/hypnotism thing last night.  I was thinking too much.  I couldn't keep my thoughts in the bubbles.  You put the thought in a bubble and let it rise, watching it as it goes up and up and away from you.  If done correctly, you can feel yourself sinking into a deeply relaxed state.  But not last night.  So I woke up for work feeling groggy and tired.  I think I woke up at 4 and then again at 5 and finally the alarm rang at 6.  I like it better when the bubbles work and I sleep all night and wake up feeling rested and happy.  I guess i was doing pretty good--- a good night's sleep three days out of four.

Now I am going to take a shower, decide what we are doing for dinner (in or out) and enjoy tomorrow's day off--- starting right now!!

No comments: