Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Yin & Yang Of October

It isn't Halloween yet or Thanksgiving, and already it's Christmas at work. And, I am sad to say, not the best Christmas at work.  We don't have the gorgeous stuff of years past.  When I was a customer and not an employee.  Though, the tree decorating that is happening, is really very, very good.  Creative.

I need to set the Gingerbread House on the dining room table and start thinking about it's remodel.  These new cone trees will replace the ones I made from plastic ice cream dishes and styrofoam covered in fake gumdrops.  My Christmas House needs more "flash & sparkle".  And it needs lights. It also needs more contrast between light and dark.  More "chocolate".

I weighted myself this morning.  All I can say, in a positive light, is that I didn't gain any weight since the last time I weighed myself--like a full month ago or perhaps even longer.  I record my daily food intake every evening when I settle on the couch to watch television or read.  Until my eyes get tired. And close. I don't see any serious lapses. And I am walking the dog 5 days out of 7.  Three miles.  Which I didn't do at the beginning.  I just was hoping to be 10 pounds lighter before getting to maintenance.

And the picture above is one that I am happy I even got, as my camera, as old as this blog, if not older, is showing signs of distress.  The zoom is getting stuck.  I will ask G to do that thing he does to the battery. See if that helps.  I so DO NOT want to HAVE to buy and learn how to use a new camera.  Stressful.

Taking the picture for this blog each day is one of the pleasures of my day.  Having my camera not work properly is like seeing your good old faithful dog stumble or have difficulty standing up.  A reason to dissolve into tears.  Riley is fine.  Rusty was our adopted senior dog.  Long ago.  Before the blog. Before the camera.  I didn't want to lose him, either.

It's dark and drizzly today.  I never know if it's better to be at work on rainy days and home on sunny ones or vis versa.  I tend to spend a rainy day at home reading or putting something into the oven to cook.  Or, more realistically, wasting the day roaming the internet.  I do have the second episode of House to watch on the internet as it didn't record on my TiVo.  And my book is interesting.  Filthy, stinky Tudor England. I had a friend (in her 80's) who refused to read anything about the Tudors (scum) but everything else about English history.  Henry VIII is rather a mess.   And who is Nan Bollun?  Or do they mean Anne Boleyn?

I am presently doing this and doing laundry.  I have shirts to iron.  I do have to step out to buy some food. I think we will have Thanksgiving Dinner tonight.  Last night we dined out at the local Italian place.  I had a glass of red wine.  Volcanic.  Nero.  And I do have to walk the dog.  Today until Saturday when G will walk him.  Unless I go with them.  G has the weekend off.  I am working Sunday.

I am rambling.  I find the "dark times" to be difficult in the beginning.  Waking up in the dark, coming home from work in the dark.  Depressing.  The holidays cheer me up a bit (not much) and once my Christmas tree is up--then I have a reason to be happy.  Then it's January.  In Maine.

No comments: