Thursday, October 06, 2011

Catching Up

This cute little Hello Kitty lunchbox was a surprise package in my mail last week.  From a sweet Reader. I promptly filled it with my stash of Happy Meal Toys.  All Kitty.  All Day Long!

Readers have alerted me to a redux of Hello Kitty at TJ Maxx and Old Navy.  I even saw some at Target. None of it was "cute" or in my size.  I do want some HK pajama pants in pink flannel, but haven't seen any yet.   I did see HK tees but I didn't think I wanted a big kitty head across my chest @ 65.  Across my butt, in the privacy of my home?  Yes. Please.

My friend Patty called last night to tell me she had a bowl of peaches for me, from her backyard peach tree, and I better come over right away to get them.  She also wants the fire wood we have left. G is very interested in a Peach Cobbler.

G and Riley are back from their walk in woods.  The sun is shining.  Time for Riley's lunch. G is mowing the grass.

I've been in the attic, watering plants, carrying stuff up for storage, carrying stuff down for recycling. I have all the dog towels washed and dried, the bed sheets need changing and we tried the "sample" tension rod in the new windows and it fits, so I can go get 4 more and make privacy curtains so I can undress with the lights on, instead of in the pitch dark.  We were going to get wooden blinds but they would be over $100 each, so not that motivated right now.  $5.99 each sounds better.  I still need to caulk the nail holes, sand, wipe with a tack cloth, prime and then paint the new window trim.  I have all the supplies and even the color card for the new paint.  Just need to get started.  An hour or two a day.  Easy.  (eye rolling)

I didn't eat enough yesterday.  I don't have food supplies ready or available which sucks.  I need to make a big pot of chili.  And more chicken salad.  I did make rhubarb sauce and a bowl of chocolate mousse.  Sugar free.  For treats.  My treat last night was an ounce of salted almonds.  I decided to have cereal on Wednesday and Sunday.  The other days I make a Bacon, Egg & Cheese sandwich with a flax pita pocket (45 calories and 4 net carbs).   I've gotten into a morning routine and can make it pretty fast.  Cooking first thing in the morning isn't a happy thing for me.

Yesterday I shredded and drained almost all the zucchini we had from the garden the past 2 weeks.  And packed it up in freezer bags and found a spot for it in the freezer.  I also baked a big heavy spaghetti squash and have the majority in a container in the fridge.  I mixed the mushy parts with TJ's Alfredo sauce and two diced fresh tomatoes.  Good but not near enough food since I had no lunch.  I needed protein.

We had a very cold night last night (27) so we had to haul everything off the back porch and into the house.  The rest of the stuff (Agapanthus and orchids) were dragged into the garage for the night and are now back out on the driveway in the sunshine.  The orchids need to be divided.  Not an easy chore.  When the weather gets permanently cold at night I will have to move all the citrus, agapanthus and orchids back up into the attic bathroom with a baby humidifier.  It's sunny enough (skylight) and easy to water (bathtub) but the air gets dry in January so I think the humidifier will do the trick.  I will have to remember to fill it with water every day (when I do my Pilates).  And give everyone a systemic insecticide.

My Clivia and Christmas Cactus are doing okay.  I had forgotten to go up and water them for a few weeks.  But they like that sort of thing.  I have to reorganize that space as it is now filling up with house plants, storage boxes of fabric and exercise equipment.  Hard to find a clear space to walk anymore.  I have considered putting some of the larger stuff up on the top off the kitchen divider.  I already have a huge green foliage plant up there and it seems to enjoy being there.  Perhaps the citrus would like it up there as well.  And if more things were up there, I might water more often.  Stranger things happen.

Time to get busy with housekeeping.

2 comments:

kathy said...

time to put christmas cactus in the dark?

Carolyn aka Silkquilter said...

Love all the Hello Kitties! I found a metal Strawberry Shortcake lunch box for my daughter a while back. I need to find SS toys for her!!