Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Collecting or Hoarding

This subject has gotten a number of you to comment and me to reply and we have been having a lively chat on this subject. I wonder if it's something always there, on the back burner, so to speak, and every one of us has the tendencies? I know that quilting brings out the hoarding/stash of fabric. Who hasn't seen it when we bring a large bag or box of culled fabric to a meeting and dump it on the table for free taking? Do we need more? Do we want more?

I still have a center of sanity here at home. I can throw things away. I think that's the tipping point. When you simply "can't" make yourself throw something away. I have recently given away nine full bags of good, deliciously polka dotted yardage, not scraps, yards of fabric out of the fabric closet. I had several days to reconsider. But, I let it go. I am not doing as well with the large number of white linen shirts. I have pulled them out of the Goodwill bags twice now and put them back in the closet. I think: handkerchiefs, pillow covers, reworked into a new shirt that fits, a base for embroidery etc. Still trying.

I never made it to the drinks cupboard yesterday. I was busy writing email comments and packing and unpacking the Goodwill bags. Seems there are people who need things in those bags. And I caved at 3:15 and buckled on the YakTracs and took the dog out for a 30 minute walk (skate across the ice). Today, I actually have to do the long walk as Riley was up and wanting attention at 1:30 am, refreshed from so much napping during the daytime. Just like a toddler. Or, he just needed to go to the "toilet". Dogs are a mystery to me.

I watered all my upstairs plants yesterday and ripped pretty pictures from the Pottery Barn catalog and pasted them into my journal on the left side pages. Verso. I piled images up on top of each other and collaged a few things. Huge pillows on a small sofa. It was relaxing. I also ran my fingers over the doodle I collaged with newsprint. I like it. I saved a few envelopes that had nice black and white patterns inside. Today I am going back upstairs to get the chair and all the collage supplies that I moved upstairs 2 years ago. I plan on sorting it out and throwing a bunch of it away. Haven't missed any of it in two years. Why keep it?

I made telephone calls to the lawn service and a medical billing for my dad. The lawn service calls are usually not pleasant (they send bills for imaginary services) and the medical company was threatening collection. We had a few pleasant minutes of conversation and all is resolved (or not) but I made the calls. I also ordered things from Pottery Barn and Chef's catalogs. Mandolines for Sam and I to slice things with, and a ridiculously expensive 3 quart All Clad saucepan for me, the prissy little princess that I am. And I ordered bowls for cereal (32 ounces!!! but the perfect shape) which will be used for other things and the catering set of 12 each (forks, spoons and knives). The two of us run out of forks long before the dishwasher is full enough to run. Twelve forks? We'll see.

Now, walk the dog. Tomorrow he goes to day care. I am having coffee with a friend and I want to stay as long as the conversation and coffee lasts. I have an hour until Riley eats lunch to get showered and dressed. He's outside chasing squirrels.

Oh, I thought you might want to hear that I have lost interest in West Wing. I have eight episodes backlogged and no interest in watching them. It served it's purpose over the summer.

Edit: What a good, new title for this blog "the prissy princess that I am"

No comments: