Wednesday, September 02, 2009

September 2nd

I tried to download a picture but the computer just kept spooling for the time it took me to take a shower, so I canceled. And it wasn't that great a picture anyway.

Today I had a lunch date with a friend. Instead of our usual eggplant Parmesan restaurant, we tried a new restaurant in town. Sort of a "pub". Bar Food. I ordered the Caesar Salad and the Onion Soup. Now I know ALL I need to know about this new place. My friend got the Vegetable Foccacia and she was happy with her meal. I guess, If I return, I'll stick with the sandwich and fries. They had lots of beer and wine. In fact, that's probably what they sell the most. And the food is just for after you've had a few drinks.

I threw (literally) some semi defrosted chicken and chicken broth into the crock pot overnight. I use the crock pot out on the three season porch so the house doesn't smell like food cooking all night. And after lunch, I picked up the remaining ingredients for Chicken Enchiladas. This is a "gut buster" of a recipe. The flour tortillas are 150 calories each, empty. Add chicken, cheese and sour cream plus a can of cream of mushroom soup and we are talking about serious calories. But it is delicious. And it will take us DAYS to finish. I will most likely have a huge salad alongside my Enchilada. I like to have something huge to eat off of when I have to work three days straight. No cooking until Sunday.

September has begun. The weather here in Maine is delightful. Cool nights. Warm days. And the lending (courier) services at the local libraries has sprung back into action. We have NEW books. And I can read. I got my eyeglasses re-adjusted today at my favorite place. I actually couldn't see anything correctly after the tech at my eye doctor's office "adjusted" them. Makes me wonder about my eye doctor.

I've started in on Season Two of Mad Men. And West Wing is back on Bravo this week. I watched three WW episodes yesterday, I did miss them! Even though they were blurry due to the eye glasses. Top Chef tonight. And what day is Project Runway?

I went to the local appliance store (the place that repairs things). I want to buy a new refrigerator. And why not buy from the people I'm going to call to fix it if it breaks? Loew's and Home Depot won't come to my house. They'll give me an 800 number. Sears will make me wait a couple of weeks for a repair. These guys are here the next day.

So. The opening in this "custom kitchen" of mine is neither here nor there. Not 36 inches wide. And that's how wide the best fridges are. The 33 inch wide fridges aren't that interesting.

Everything in this kitchen is nailed and glued together. It was all built here on site. The side of the desk I'm sitting at is the side wall of the fridge space. And the dish cupboard is up against the other side. 35 by 69. That's the exact opening. And a cupboard with crown molding overhead. Every wall is fully built with cabinets. No open spaces. I could put the new fridge out on the sunporch. Wouldn't that be special.

I asked about a drop in range. Burners and oven to replace the drop in I have now. And I want gas (propane). Viking. Wolf. Serious Cooking Power. And a pop up vent system. Guess what. No one makes a drop in. And I didn't want to remodel the whole kitchen just to get new appliances. Shit. So that wasn't fun and I don't have a new fridge and I won't be getting the drop in of my dreams. What good is money if you can't buy stuff?

Time to eat.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Well, Joanne, you could always design the house of your dreams and have it built. That would use up a ton of money, right?

Hope you can work something out and at least get new appliances.

: )

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Couple of years ago when I moved into this house I really wanted a French door refrigerator. Talked about it for months. Turned out that it wouldn't fit in my space, and I have retro metal cabinets, so no quick fix. In the end, I felt lucky to find a refrigerator with glass shelves. Funny how things change. And did I need that big refrigerator? Not really. Do I still wish I had it? Yep.