Thursday, June 25, 2009

Book Sale/ State Farm Insurance

Well. It's over. My part that is. It was quite a mess without a book count, but I had plenty of help which was fortunate since my back decided to seize up and I couldn't even put my socks on Tuesday morning. It was worse on Wednesday morning.

I usually lift boxes, unpack books, move piles of boxes around etc. Could NOT do any of that. I was so frustrated. But since I was medicated by one huge orange pill (like 5 Aleeve) I didn't have the will power to even sit and have a good cry. I managed to drift through it all and by 3:30 (when the janitor surprised us with his closing now announcement) we were pretty close to finished. I was pretty strong in not wanting children helping, but they arrived anyway and did a damned fine job. Proving me wrong but I was not responsible for them and when one had a first aid emergency (blood) (and they came to ME for help) I just shouted-- who has the first aid kit, and left them to it.

We were finished with everything, even had the floor swept and the signs hung from the ceiling, by 1 pm (today, Thursday) It takes two days to do set up. My back was good enough today that I got my socks on (first try), didn't need the handicap bar when I used the bathroom, and only needed one rest period when getting into the car. Twisting is not a good thing.

I got home in time to have lunch, look at some of my new (to me) cookbooks, sit out in the SUN (yes, it didn't rain today) when the phone rang and State Farm Insurance (in Ohio) let me know they were canceling the homeowners policy on the Ohio house. It's vacant. They don't want to cover any vacant houses. Doesn't matter that I have someone checking the house, have a nosy neighbor next door and have a lawn service guy cutting the grass. The agent's assistant suggested I go on the internet and find a "high risk insurer". State Farm. They are sending me a "letter". I'm going to have to change the channel every time one of their commercials comes on, from now on. I think the whole state of Florida got canceled by State Farm this winter. So maybe they are closing down in Ohio too? A new slogan for them would be "whenever you need us, we won't be there".

We ate the last of the lasagna on Tuesday and had Subway sandwiches as a very late lunch on Wednesday after working all day unpacking dirty books. Today it's sunny and summery. I have no idea what to make for dinner. I would like a beer and a cheeseburger. And sugared native Maine strawberries for dessert. I stopped on the way home to buy a container. Yummy. But they are big this summer and not as densely RED. Too much rain.

I return to work (my job) tomorrow. I get to go pick up the dog now. No rest for the weary.

No comments: